Board logo

removing type 9 speedo drive cable
nick205 - 22/7/06 at 02:52 PM

After changing plans from using a cable driven speedo to an electric one I need to remove the speedo drive cable from my type 9 g/box.

At the moment (to get it out the way) I have cut the cable leaving about 6 inches left attached to the g/box. Can I just cut it off flush with where it exits the g/box or will this cause problems?

Cheers
Nick

mookaloid - 22/7/06 at 03:00 PM

if you remove the circlip at the base it comes right out.

you can then glue a disc of the right size in with instant gasket or similar

nick205 - 22/7/06 at 04:28 PM

Unfortunately, that would mean droping the g/box down out of the car to get at it now as my interior panels are already bonded and rivetted in place

johnjulie - 23/7/06 at 09:32 AM

Just cut it flush then, no problem.
Cheers John

Just - 23/7/06 at 11:47 AM

Nick - are you sure the panels are in the way. I have just replaced my cable after it snapped on my Tiger and with the front up on stands I could get to the cable easy enough. Otherwise you can just cut it off flush as it is only a spinning bit of cable.

nick205 - 24/7/06 at 07:55 AM

Just,

Will have closer look (under the car) and check, but from memory (last time I went under) it was a pig to get at with the pliers. Will probably cut it off and be done with it

BKLOCO - 24/7/06 at 10:11 AM

If I couldn't remove it and blank the hole. I would personally leave about 6" of cable and poke it vertically up the tunnel.
This way if the seals go you will not dump your g-box oil.