Board logo

daft but interesting question
NS Dev - 27/7/06 at 12:08 PM

Quick question, any ideas how it might be possible to arrange an external hydraulic pressure feed to an automatic gearbox such as a vauxhall cavalier one for example??

I have been toying with the idea of removing the torque convertor from one and altering it to drive through a conventional clutch, but this then also removes the hydraulic pump, which is obviously required for the shift hydraulics.

The idea is obviously to get a hydraulic clutchless powershift box but with a normal clutch for the startline and to avoid the parasitic losses of the convertor.

Problem is I have no idea what pressure and flow requirements the clutch packs in the box have!

The idea is to have a play with the old grasser once I have built the new one, and sorting out a powershift box was one idea that might be cheap and effective!

ned - 27/7/06 at 12:10 PM

no idea really but would a hydraulic power steering pump be able to be rigged up in any useful way?

3GEComponents - 27/7/06 at 12:23 PM

I remember reading somewhere about 4x4 racers (land rover/range rover specials) using small torque converters for racing, they gave fantastic acceleration but tended to overheat on long stints.

MustangSix - 27/7/06 at 01:29 PM

If you do a google for B&M Clutchflite or B&M hydro stick transmissions, you'll find some info.

Basically, you add a clutch in place of the torque converter and you're left with a planetary transmission that can be shifted without a clutch after launch. It's primary application was in drag racing where you are more concerned with upshifts during the 1/4 mile run.

Also do a Google for the Wilson preselector transmission, another planetary that was popular in racing in the 30's thru the 50's.

[Edited on 27/7/06 by MustangSix]

paulf - 27/7/06 at 08:42 PM

Isnt the hydraulic pump seperate to the torque converter? If so you just need to arrange an input shaft and clutch some how.
Paul.