Board logo

Blowing collector
BenB - 28/1/07 at 06:38 PM

You may remember I was having a problem with my right exhaust fizzing on back-off and occasionally back-firing on switch off. The cause became obvious today when I checked out the exhaust... Infact, I seem to recall it being suggested at the time......

I was checking out my exhaust system and noticed where the two headers go into the collector before the can there's a big dirty black stain where obviously the exhausts been leaking....

From the outside the tubes are very tight together so I can't get a welder in between them... I can get access to the inside of the collector where the tubes meet but its well dirty now...

Any ideas?

Polish / grind off the crud with a dremel then MIG any holes (haven't tried stainless at the moment, presumably need different wire and different gases)....

Do the same but smear hi-temp epoxy over the join?? Avoids the cost of SS wire, gas etc and I might be able to "wick" the epoxy into any gaps....

Any other ideas?

I'm happy leaving it for a moment but I want to use wideband feedback when I install the EFi and reckon the leak could cause major problems....

britishtrident - 28/1/07 at 07:34 PM

Firegum

BenB - 28/1/07 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
When I saw the title for this thread, I imagined a rent man or an insurance man with a smile on his face that he couldn;t get rid of.

I'll get me coat etc.

BenB - 28/1/07 at 08:47 PM

Cheers. Looks like just the job.... Off to Ebay I go....

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Firegum

Peter Cowley - 28/1/07 at 10:30 PM

westfield use dow corning plumba flue +300c silicone sealant, it worked on mine which was doing exactly the same.....this stuff stays flexible and wont rattle out once it hardens.

Cheers

Peter.

BenB - 29/1/07 at 02:56 PM

Cheers. will get some just in case- use it to hold all the Firegum in place when it starts cracking!!!!