Board logo

subaru flatties
jlparsons - 7/2/07 at 09:24 PM

Anyone used a flat 4/6 subaru engine in a locost? I'm wondering if it'd stick out the sides. Might look pretty funky, and would have legs of course. Never even looked under the bonnet of a subaru of course, but I'm betting a few of you lot have thought about it!

jamesbond007ltk - 7/2/07 at 09:30 PM

I am one of the thinkers!

Never looked into it much though.

Have looked under the bonnet of a scooby and u'd struggle to fit in a sardine can!

Would still love to give it a go though

novacaine - 7/2/07 at 09:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
I'm betting a few of you lot have thought about it!

your right there! lol

they are quite wide, may stick out of a book chassis. main problem is the four figures the breakers/guys on eBay want for the engines, also gearbox is a bit of a pain, from my knowlege the gearbox has the front diff buit in like the 4WD audis, but i may be wrong

would make one awsome locost tho...

Matt

JoelP - 7/2/07 at 09:35 PM

its an unfortunate choice for a locost really, the exhaust headers apparently defeat the low CoG, its very wide, the front diff is indeed inside the box, 4wd isnt a possibility due to the lay out, and theres not much to gain from using it as RWD alone. Plus ive gone off turbos now. However, for a bit, i was considering it.

jlparsons - 7/2/07 at 09:39 PM

hhmmm, i had thought as much. Ah well, interesting thought though. If only the evo was longitudinal...

caber - 7/2/07 at 09:44 PM

My GF just bought a scooby imprezza plain old standard model. The engine is very flat and might make an interesting FWD install with engine behind gearbox so this would need to be upside down unless the drive can be turned around another way.

Also interesting for a proper midi set up maybe for a Porsche Carrera 916 replica ?

Caber

jamesbond007ltk - 7/2/07 at 09:45 PM

These guys do it....not in a seven though i am afraid:

http://www.adrenalinemotorsport.co.uk/index.html

[Edited on 7/2/07 by jamesbond007ltk]

meany - 7/2/07 at 10:04 PM

i have looked into this, being a scooby owner for 4 years.

not a chance in hell of fitting in a 7 type chassis...the +4 is not even wide enough.

the chassis could be designed around, it is possible.

but the biggest problem is the engine centreline...it would have to high enough up to clear the headers ( in standard form)....in fact too high.

as for the 4wd gearbox, it was fairly large mofo, not particularly light either...there is a site on the net for converting the box to rwd, basically by locking the centre diff, but you are still carrying a lot of dead weight.

it would be easier make an adapter to fit another gearbox.

dern - 7/2/07 at 10:05 PM

This might be a bit contentious but until the turbo kicks in on mine it's not that special an engine imho. Put it this way... you can get the noise simply by using unequal headers on any engine and you can also put a turbo on any engine. Don't get me wrong, as a package my scoob is great but the engine isn't that special... unless there's something I don't know about.

Regards,

Mark

meany - 7/2/07 at 10:14 PM

depends on what you have.

Chippy - 7/2/07 at 11:54 PM

The V Dub guys use them, in place of the beetle, (old), flat four. They certainly transform the performance, but almost anything would, compared with the Wartburg chuffer, Ray

rav - 8/2/07 at 12:16 AM

The subaru EJ20 can deffinietely be made to fit, as long as the chassis is designed around it.
It would also benefit from being mated to a different gearbox, forget all the subaru ones the input shaft is too high. I have a solidworks model of the engine (I have one in bits in the garage) mated to a type 9 box which is looking good...

The heads would indeed stick out a bit, about 2" either side on a standard chassis and different exhaust headers would be needed along with a dry sump to allow the engine to sit nice and low.

Lots of problems but all surmountable and the benefits would be well worth the effort IMHO. Namely, a super low CofG, extremely lightweight, and an easy, reliable 300Bhp without any expensive engine re-building.

If anyone wants a rough solidworks model of the engine U2U me.

Mark

chockymonster - 8/2/07 at 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jlparsons
hhmmm, i had thought as much. Ah well, interesting thought though. If only the evo was longitudinal...

The lancer turbo is longditudinal, it is possible to fit the current 4G63 in one of those.

rav - 9/2/07 at 06:57 PM

yeah you're right, Id been looking at the Quaife versions, the new 300bhp one wouild do the trick. Just got to find £3k...

locost_bryan - 14/2/07 at 02:23 AM

Patrick Vogelenzang in Christchurch, New Zealand has built a locost
with a Subaru engine - an old 1800 pushrod.

Description here:-
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/locost/message/50598

Photos here :-
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Locost_NZ/photos/browse/f242
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/peter-su/nz%20builders.html

cymtriks - 20/4/07 at 07:44 PM

How high is the Subaru flat four?

Is it lower than a I4 when mated to the same gearbox? I'm assuming here thatthe gearbox position is fixed so I suppose the real question reduces to how high is the top of the intake etc above the crankshaft centreline.

akumabito - 21/4/07 at 12:32 PM

Non-turbo flat six? Oh, and custom headers.. straight out the sides of your locost.. Maybe mated to a MT75 transmission.. I don't know what the point would be, besides beign original, but hey... it's an interesting idea!

Also.. didn't the Ferari Testarossa come with a flat-eight?

msm98lw - 23/4/07 at 03:56 PM

Here in the states there is a company www.renegadehybrids.com that makes a kit to fit the Subaru 4 into a Porsche 914 w/VW engine. IIRC it was sold as a VW in Europe. It uses the VW transaxle.

I know this isn't a complete build it yourself, but it shows that a midengine Subaru locost could be worked out.

We've been getting the 2.5 in almost every Subaru since 2002. The N/A version would not be a high revver (sp.) unless it was modified, but it does put out gobs of torque. In a light weight car it could be really quick. It might be cheaper that the turbo.