Board logo

V6 input shaft shorening
ibakes - 23/2/07 at 01:38 PM

Hello

What the best way to shorten the input shaft of a V6 type 9 gearbox.

And whats this about 19 or18 teeth, im sure when i put the clutch over the shaft it fitted ok? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

[Edited on 23/2/07 by ibakes]

GeoffT - 23/2/07 at 02:04 PM

Mine was about 10mm too long - I used nothing more scientific than the angle grinder with a thin cutting disc. Make sure you leave a chamfer on the cut edge to give it a lead into the spigot bush though.

ibakes - 23/2/07 at 02:11 PM

Thats what I was thinking, just want to make sure.

also heard of the teeth catching on the flywheel

macnab - 23/2/07 at 02:18 PM

hmm I had a major problem years ago with this, didn't know there was a difference and wrecked the grearbox

bilbo - 23/2/07 at 02:34 PM

Before you do this though, IIRC the longer shaft boxes are very sort after. It may be worth selling it and replacing it with a shorter shaft one, and make a bit of money at the same time.

ibakes - 23/2/07 at 02:44 PM

so better option will be change it for the shorter one?

must check the teeth on the clutch again when I get home

paulf - 23/2/07 at 03:42 PM

Thats because they are slightly stronger and have a better first gear ratio.
I would make it fit somehow, either by shortening the shaft or by making or buying a spacer to fit between the gearbox and bellhousing i think caterham use them.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by bilbo
Before you do this though, IIRC the longer shaft boxes are very sort after. It may be worth selling it and replacing it with a shorter shaft one, and make a bit of money at the same time.

ibakes - 23/2/07 at 04:05 PM

the caterham one is 38mm, I measured 30mm last night.

Not sure how much the caterham one is but BGH do a stronger shorter shaft for £80+vat, think I may have a go with a hacksaw and file later on, unless anyone can let me know of a good reason why not

paulf - 23/2/07 at 04:26 PM

I think that you will find that cutting that much off the shaft will mean having to cut it off to the splines therfore leaving no spigot for the bearing.You may be able to get the end of the splines turned down though as long as it leaves enough for the clutch plate to fit onto.
Can you find a bit of 30mm alloy and cut a spacer from that?
Paul.

ibakes - 23/2/07 at 04:43 PM

im pretty sure there is 50mm between the end and the splines...

actually got this from somewhere Rescued attachment v6gearbox.jpg
Rescued attachment v6gearbox.jpg

mookaloid - 23/2/07 at 05:06 PM

After looking long and hard at my long shaft box, I fitted the caterham spacer. I did this because I wasn't happy that the splines would be short enough to clear the flywheel and spigot bearing.

The caterham spacer is a quality item and makes it all very easy IIRC it was about £50 but a quick call to their parts dept would tell you exactly.

It would be a shame to ruin a good long shaft box - don't do it!!!!

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 23/2/07 by mookaloid]