Board logo

Strange noise from Pinto-powered CAT
Moose - 11/4/07 at 07:56 PM

Ok, Tiger Cat, 2.1 litre Pinto, twin dellortos. Pulled off rather sharpish today in first and whilst slidding down the road noticed a strange noise/rattle - sort of metal catching metal. Limped home (only a few hundred yards). Sat still idling can here it, but it reduces when I drop the the clutch. Pop the clutch back up it reappears (note it reduces but does not go away). Almost sounds like the sound an exhaust makes when it drags along the road. ALSO - noticed tonight in the garage that with the engine off I appear to be able to move through the gears without pressing the clutch.

I am a bit of noice here - so help ! Please!

Is it the clutch??

A

snapper - 11/4/07 at 10:28 PM

Sounds to me like the clutch release bearing, so if you have not replaced the cover and the plate you may as well do the lot.
By the way if the engine is not rotating the gearbox then you can engage any gear you like easily without the clutch.

Peteff - 11/4/07 at 10:42 PM

When my nephew had his Sierra he had a similar problem. The thrust bearing and diaphragm spring were mismatched and the bearing ate through the spring eventually. If the springs are not wearing evenly or are bent they will give you similar symptoms.

cadebytiger - 11/4/07 at 11:19 PM

maybe worth checking the flywheel bolts. These tend to go on the pinto. Is it vibrating

I guess check it all if the engine is coming out