Board logo

Pinto Running hot - VERY hot!!
dwyer - 28/7/03 at 07:12 AM

I have fitted a 2.0 pinto with a Weber carb in my MK Indy. It starts but runs very hot, very quickly (Manifold glows Red after 1-2 mins)!!. Although engine is 2.0, the EEV Ignition control unit is from a 1.6 Sierra. The Ignition control ECU for a 2.0 engine is very different to the 1.6, but i am not sure whether this would make any difference or not. Is this what is making it run very hot. Anyone help, any idea's??

[Edited on 28/7/03 by dwyer]

pbura - 28/7/03 at 12:14 PM

Engine timing being off can cause this. I adjusted my timing once without blocking off the vacuum advance first, and experienced extreme overheating like this.

Pete B.

timf - 28/7/03 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dwyer
I have fitted a 2.0 pinto with a Weber carb in my MK Indy. It starts but runs very hot, very quickly (Manifold glows Red after 1-2 mins)!!.

[Edited on 28/7/03 by dwyer]

sounds like the ingition timing is way off resulting in the mixture being ignited when the exhaust vales are open. have you checked the timing.

dwyer - 28/7/03 at 12:45 PM

The timing was out but not hugely out. The vacuum pipe was not disconnected when i first started doing the timing, but when i realised i disconnected this, but it was then i realised how hot and red the manifold was.
So it could be the timing out combined with the fact that the vacuum was attached that is causing my problem then?

Thanks for that all..

timf - 28/7/03 at 12:48 PM

after you made the adjustments does it still do it.

pbura - 28/7/03 at 01:06 PM

When I posted earlier I was not thinking so much about the vacuum advance specifically, but just how wrong timing can affect an engine.

Is it possible to find out how the advance/RPM curves for the two ignition systems compare? Maybe some Ford guys here have the answer.

dwyer - 28/7/03 at 02:03 PM

To be honest the very last thing i did before realising that the manifold was glowing hot was to adjust the timing. Since then i have not tried it, basically because i wanted to ask for advice before i ran it again and damaged something.
I do feel better after the comments i received today, so i intend to try it again tonight.
Fingers crossed, watch this space.

Thanks.....

theconrodkid - 28/7/03 at 04:18 PM

if its a tubular manifold it will get very hot also if there is too much back pressure in the silencer

dwyer - 28/7/03 at 04:25 PM

It is a tubular manifold. Maybe i am worrying too much about the fact it was red hot. I had a Robin Hood before this, that also had a tubular manifold but it never got that hot though.

thanks....