Board logo

Zetec oil Pressure Relief Valve
the dave - 22/7/07 at 11:46 AM

I feel a bit of a dummy, but even after looking at the haynes manual, i can't work out how to access the pressure relief valve on my oil pump.

The engine is in the car but the sump is off at the moment.

Can anyone point me in the right direction...or a picture..

thanks

coozer - 22/7/07 at 12:07 PM

I may be way off the mark, but I'm under the impression it's inside the oil filter.

I've heard it's important to prime the pump when its been dry because the valve is in the filter.

As I say I may be totally wrong but is it worth invetigating???

rusty nuts - 22/7/07 at 12:24 PM

Zetec relief valve is on the pump . With engine in place it would be on the right hand side of the car approx 2 " above the sump .

the dave - 22/7/07 at 12:44 PM

All i have found around that area are 3 long bolts, no sign of any cover an valve.

I am looking around the oil filter, and where it connects to the rest of the pump...I am really confused.

Dusty - 22/7/07 at 02:44 PM

I think they are different on silver and blacktop. The silver has it just below the filter on the side of the pump and can be removed with the sump on. The black has it on the oil pump case inside the engine at about the 7 o'clock position (looking at the front of the engine) under an biggish allan socket bolt.

bob - 22/7/07 at 04:26 PM

Pump from an old silver top 2 litre i dismantled last year, shows reief valve position. Rescued attachment zetec oil pump0777.JPG
Rescued attachment zetec oil pump0777.JPG

the dave - 22/7/07 at 04:30 PM

Ahhh, superb.

Thank you

rusty nuts - 22/7/07 at 04:44 PM

Sorry, suspect the one I had problems with may have been a blacktop?