Board logo

1.3l xflow or 2.0l dohc
seven-italy - 23/8/07 at 06:22 AM

I have this two engine.
Both motors are not in good conditions.
I have the standard chassis with irs from tiger plans
Can I put the sierra dohc in the standard chassis ?
I must decide between xflow or dohc.
I do not know which to choose, please help me!

britishtrident - 23/8/07 at 07:27 AM

Find something else --- anything else.

Fitting a DOHC is as much work as fitting a Zetec.

the 1300 xflo is simple to fit but err somewhat lacking in power and rebuild parts such as pistons are getting expensive. It will probably also require an unleaded conversion.

[Edited on 23/8/07 by britishtrident]

Vindi_andy - 23/8/07 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Fitting a DOHC is as much work as fitting a Zetec.

[Edited on 23/8/07 by britishtrident]

Dont I Know it

wishing Id got a pinto now

DarrenW - 23/8/07 at 08:21 AM

I fitted 2.0 pinto from the start thinking it was a cheap start and Zetec / VX would follow later. All i can say is that whilst im happy with my choice my plan was seriously flawed. For what it has cost me so far i could have fitted a Zetec and had more tuning potential available.

Fair point that you have 2 engines. But you will probs need other bits to make them work. A good exhaust is not cheap but same cost for x-flow / Pinto / Zetec etc. Why not just buy once / fit once and get the best you can for given budget.

To be honest neither engine you have now is what i would consider for a future build.

02GF74 - 23/8/07 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Fair point that you have 2 engines.

Please read again and note:

quote:
Originally posted by seven-italy
I have this two engine.
Both motors are not in good conditions

What you have is two very heavy and oily paperweights.

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
To be honest neither engine you have now is what i would consider for a future build.

^^^^ agreed. For the price of getting either reconditioned, you could probably pick up a Zetec for less in far better condition. I think you have to accept the fact that neither engine you have is a worthwile proposition.

britishtrident - 23/8/07 at 07:39 PM

Why not look for a rwd Fiat or rwd Alfa Junior engine and gearbox and axle donor.