Board logo

Bike carbs
jacko - 27/1/08 at 05:29 PM

HI all can any one tell me which bike carbs you can split to make them wider+ i want to put two more in line to make 6 in all
ie zx9r / r1 / zzr 1100 / etc
thanks Jacko

MkIndy7 - 27/1/08 at 05:32 PM

Or 2 sets of Triumph tripples maybe?

Presumably if they were a 1,000cc tripples each individual carb/Tb would be larger as well.

jacko - 27/1/08 at 05:42 PM

NOw thats what i like about this site
i did not think of then there for a skyline engine

cryoman1965 - 27/1/08 at 05:59 PM

zx6,zx7 zx9, GSXR600 srad. zzr range

big_wasa - 27/1/08 at 06:06 PM

fire blade

MkIndy7 - 27/1/08 at 06:12 PM

Here's 1 pair going shortly on Ebay: Speed Tripple 750 carbs

They look like they could be split, but as with the others would need a new fuel rail.

I thought they might be cheeper as well, not being as in demand as the 4 cylinder ones.

jacko - 27/1/08 at 06:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Here's 1 pair going shortly on Ebay: Speed Tripple 750 carbs

They look like they could be split, but as with the others would need a new fuel rail.
I thought they might be cheeper as well, not being as in demand as the 4 cylinder ones.

Just had a look thanks
Graham

cryoman1965 - 27/1/08 at 06:21 PM

The problem with triple sets of carbs is they are more difficult to join together and use as one unit operated by one throttle control for the 6 carbs as there is no linkage between the sets of carbs.

With a quad set you would dispose of 2 x carbs. One each from apposing ends and the linkage is there to operate as one complete unit.

As for a fuel rail you could contact keith2lp from this site regads respacing with custom parts and a new rail.

You can get half descent quads for £25-£30 inc p&p

HTH

Nige

[Edited on 27/1/08 by cryoman1965]

MkIndy7 - 27/1/08 at 06:22 PM

Just thought now, you might not have to split them if its 2 pairs of 3, you might be able to make up the spacings on the manifold itself if its close enough.

cryoman1965 - 27/1/08 at 06:26 PM

The problem maybe balancing the two sets to operate at the same time and with the same amount of butterfly movement.

I spent nearly a year making SS inlet manifolds for bike carbs aswell as respacing them with cusstom machined parts. This was something we looked at for someone in Kent. The simplest way for a straight 6 is to modifie 2 sets of 4 as all the linkage was there.

IMHO 2 sets of 4 would be much easier.

Nige

[Edited on 27/1/08 by cryoman1965]

jacko - 27/1/08 at 08:18 PM

Thankyou for the info .
My son and I have only just started this project so a long time before we will need the carbs we got the front suspension / engine x member in place today ready to bolt in
Jacko

jacko - 27/1/08 at 08:44 PM

I have just had a look at Bogg Brothers web and on gallery 4 there is a inlet manifold for a straight 6 Aston martin + carbs I think the carbs are r1 can any one tell me if i am right
Jacko

MkIndy7 - 27/1/08 at 09:30 PM

This is probably going to sound a daft question.. but what happened to whatever was on the car as standard?

Would it not be worth keeping that and running a Megasquirt on it?... you could be really silly and keep the turbo too

jacko - 28/1/08 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
This is probably going to sound a daft question.. but what happened to whatever was on the car as standard?

Would it not be worth keeping that and running a Megasquirt on it?... you could be really silly and keep the turbo too

HI ha ha we have 2 engines 1 with a turbo and the other with out any thing it was bought with out of ebay
one may end up in the indy you never know
Jacko