Board logo

Airbox Spacer?
coozer - 22/3/08 at 07:13 PM

I'm using ZX9R carbs on my zetec and am in the process of constructing an airbox.

I've got the standard Kawasaki hard plastic airbox mount and what I want to do is space the box I've made away from this by about 20~25mm

I need something I can bond to the new airbox to make a rigid connection and move it away from the carbs giving a bit more room inside.

Question is... what can I use as a spacer? I was thinking of a thick piece of perpex or nylon but cant get a hold of any. I even considered MDF

Any ideas??

Steve

pewe - 22/3/08 at 07:20 PM

Not got any ali. lying about?
Cut to shape, fold edges over then rivet and/or use araldite to seal/bond it.
Whadda you think?
Cheers Pewe

Jubal - 22/3/08 at 07:25 PM

The bloke I bought my car off used some samco hose and drain pipes...they worked brilliantly till a stone smashed them:

Paul TigerB6 - 22/3/08 at 07:26 PM

Have you tried these guys on ebay??
Minerva tools

I guess you have tried the local plastics stockholders??

r1_pete - 22/3/08 at 09:39 PM

An off the wall thought, how about casting one in chopped glass fibre? the stuff used to be referred to as jam, chopped up glass fibre in resin..

DarrenW - 22/3/08 at 11:21 PM

Any pics of your bits? Ive got some pics of how i fitted std Kwaka part to my carbs and airbox - what email do you want me to send to?

thomas4age - 23/3/08 at 06:36 AM

Jubal, I hope the stone didn;t enter the engine?

you can make a mould out of foam layup the glas or carbon on that, and when done get the foam out by pouring terpentine or some other solvent in it.

guy over here make gastanks for motorcycles like that over here, nice and neat way of working, and you don;t need negative moulds or anything,

grtz Thomas