Board logo

car wont start
ricklawn - 16/6/08 at 08:04 PM

HI
problems, problems... Fitted bike carbs ,had to move alternator, new bracket (thanks Roadkill) starter kaput recon starter , starter now wont turn engine. Engine seems very tight? Fastened jump leads to my 2.5l BMW, still wont turn engine. can re conditionind starter tighten it up so much??
any other ideas?
Thanks
Rick

DavidM - 16/6/08 at 08:14 PM

I'd check all the earths first. Especially the ones from the battery and engine to the chassis.

David

Mark G - 16/6/08 at 08:17 PM

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand on the crank pully?

If that doens't work, try removing the starter and then try to turn it over by hand.

(When I say by hand, I mean with a socket and big bar).

DarrenW - 16/6/08 at 09:50 PM

My initial thought was bad earth.

I had a mk1 golf a while back and the change to cranking speed after fitting a top notch earth was staggering. I would swear it wouldnt make much difference until i did it.

If not that then could the timing have been knocked?

austin man - 16/6/08 at 10:15 PM

dont assume the recon starter is okay they have been known to fail also are you sure its the exact same sarter, not sure what engine u have there are probable 4 startes that fit the type nine box each for a different engine. ie the one for the zetec to type nie wont fit the pinto and vice versa

owelly - 16/6/08 at 10:20 PM

Slacken the starter mounting bolts a bit and give it a try. I've known starters be very tight on the ring gear due to variations in the castings, dowel mounts or whatever. If slackening the bolts helps, take the starter back to the shop and get another and make sure it's not the same as the one you've taken back!!