Board logo

SS Braided Petrol Hose WARNING
miikae - 4/8/08 at 01:40 PM

Today we decided to tune the carbs , ran the engine up to temp then lifted the bonnet my son noticed that the new SS braided fuel hose i had fitted last year was leaking near the filter king fuel outlet , on further inspection after taking the hose off and removing the braid we found it had perrished over a 50mm length , so all the other braided pipes where removed as a precaution , fortunatly we didnt take it for a drive first to warm it up otherwise it may have been be a different story .

The hose in question was bought in the UK in march 2007 , so if anyone has bought any please check that your hoses are all ok .

The rubber hose is not very thick and only a single with no markings either and not re-enforced double layer type .

After doing a web search i can only conclude that it was not intended for use with unleaded/alcohol fuels but is sold without this warning .

If anyone one has these SS Braided Fuel Hoses fitted please check often just in case for obvious reasons .

Mike

tegwin - 4/8/08 at 01:48 PM

There is an air accident report recently published involving a piston powered helicopter...

Basically the braided fuel hose had chafed against the airframe causing the braiding to penitrate the rubber fuel hose, this caused a leak or fine atomised fuel....

Im amazed the pilot managed to land given the amount of smoke and heat he must have had to deal with...

And the reason for the chafing?....The engineer had forgotten to put the clamp back to stop the hose flapping about...

David Jenkins - 4/8/08 at 02:13 PM

I found this when I replaced a bit of hose connected to my fuel tank:

It was supposedly 'proper' fuel hose too... you can see the reinforcing threads!

02GF74 - 4/8/08 at 02:13 PM

purchased from where?

the only stainless steel braided hose I have used is the stuff from VWP, that you buy by the meter as opposed to the ready made once they sell.

So far after 5 years not had any problems; but agree with you that the braiding has the disadvantage of hiding any damage to the hose itself.

mcerd1 - 4/8/08 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I found this when I replaced a bit of hose connected to my fuel tank....................

the bit feeding the carb on my old 106 wasn't as bad as that and it was 15 years old (although it was leaking a little)

oh, don't worry Mango - I replaced it (look for the 'John Deere' pipe ) the rest of the flexable bits seemed ok

[Edited on 4/8/08 by mcerd1]

miikae - 4/8/08 at 02:27 PM

1 mtr purchaed from http://www.wrightsautosupplies.com/
They have replaced it , but i am reluctant to fit it at the moment .

It went the same way as DJs piccy on a bend .

Mike

[Edited on 4/8/08 by miikae]

Mr Whippy - 4/8/08 at 02:31 PM

My fuel hoses are made by Goodyear, I have no concerns