Board logo

fluorolined? samco hose thickness
blakep82 - 18/9/08 at 07:59 PM

what does that mean?

i've been after some silicone hose for my bike carb manifold (had fuel filler hose, but the rubber was too thick)

emailed rally design but they suggested fluorolined hose at £70 a meter.

the standard hose says its fuel resistant.

what is fluorolined?

whats the wall thickness of the standard hose?

DarrenW - 18/9/08 at 08:33 PM

I used silicon hose at first for mine. Didnt work. Softened quickly and then kept slipping off. Replaced with Alfagoma coolant hose and it has been great since.

Just sold what i had left to Lars - if you ask him nicely he may be able to sell you a bit.

Paul TigerB6 - 18/9/08 at 08:38 PM

Fluoro linings are used for corrosive chemicals and are also fuel resistant. They should be long lasting and not soften like silicon ones as per the above.

DarrenW - 18/9/08 at 09:10 PM

Flouro might be good but £70 / meter is OTT.

I paid £20 something for a metre. T352 48mm iirc.

blakep82 - 18/9/08 at 09:26 PM

i thought £70 was a bit much
here's what they suggested
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=147_1961_558_560&products_id=3866

this one has exactly the same description
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=147_1961_558_559&products_id=3836

i used fuel filler hose, very thick so won't deform under vacuum, but got in the way of the throttle linkage, and the hose clips keep slipping off. i thought something with a thinner wall might give a better grip on the carbs. i don't have much of a gap between the carb and manifold, so hopefully might be ok

i'll ask lars what he's got

darren, what was the wall thickness? of your alfagoma hose?

Paul TigerB6 - 19/9/08 at 07:55 AM

Probably find the expensive one is fluoro lined properly to give it the fuel resistance, whereas the standard hose will go soft after a while.

MikeRJ - 19/9/08 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Probably find the expensive one is fluoro lined properly to give it the fuel resistance, whereas the standard hose will go soft after a while.

Exactly, RD will have suggested flouro lined as standard silicon hose is not fuel resistant.