Board logo

ZX9r Air Filter
ahb - 25/9/08 at 01:22 PM

I want to fit a pipercross sausage filter to my zx9 engine.
Does anyone know if I will need to do a dynojet kit stage 1 too.
Also will a sausage filter effect emmission for sva purposes.
Would appreciate any views.
Cheers
Al

twybrow - 25/9/08 at 01:26 PM

I think the general opinion is that sausage filters give you a slight drop in power over an airbox (plus they would be noisier). I would suspect it would need a Dynojet kit, but you may find you can get away without out it.... If you can use an airbox, I would try that for SVA.

Guinness - 25/9/08 at 01:38 PM

I fitted a Pipercross PX600 back plate and a sausage filter to my ZZR for SVA.

As far as I am aware it shouldn't make any difference to the emissions test, as that is carried out at idle / fast idle. As the mixture at this point is controlled by the idle screw the main jets / needles won't have any effect.

Post SVA I fitted a Dynojet kit, but then had to drill out the main jets anyway! So in effect I paid £XX for a set of adjustable needles!

Since then I have removed the sausage filter and changed over to a Pipercross airbox, which is noticably quieter.

Cheers

Mike

ahb - 25/9/08 at 06:22 PM

Thanks for that.
Do you still have your old sausage filter, Mike? If so, you might have a buyer.
Let me know.
Cheers
Al

roadrunner - 25/9/08 at 07:03 PM

My carbs where already dynojetted and i fitted a sausage filter. I took it to Boggs to get it on there rolling road, he took out the dynojet kit and fitted his own jets to suit, sinse then i fitted the standard modified air box, i just need to get it set up again.

mackei23b - 25/9/08 at 07:17 PM

I've got a TTS sausage filter and stage 1 Dynojet , runs well on my ZX9R. It also passed the SVA with this set up.

Cheers

Ian

ahb - 25/9/08 at 07:28 PM

Ian,
Was it easy enough to fit dynojet kit and did you have to take it to rolling road to set up?

Al

mistergrumpy - 25/9/08 at 09:51 PM

I fitted a sausage filter to my zx9 and it revved fine. I then re jetted it and it was a bag of bol***ks. After I'd messed though I've got it summat like decent now.
Doddle to fit the dynojet by the way. Initially I took my time but I've done it a few times since to get it right and it doesn't take that long. An hours absolute max.