Board logo

exhaust edge trim
luke2152 - 9/12/14 at 09:19 PM

Is there some kind of high temperature edge trim I can buy? I have edges on my silencer and the tip of my exhaust that look to fall just foul or the radius requirement. I'm assuming the standard trim wont be up to the heat?

CosKev3 - 9/12/14 at 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure most people make up a shield to cover the silencer if edges are too sharp, like the one Westfield/Caterhams run.

CosKev3 - 9/12/14 at 09:47 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gFjg6F0BpaU/S8OBCLBXvDI/AAAAAAAAAh0/qCvfxCVEIjY/s1600/IMG_8339.JPG

Like above, then u can trim ends of shield ir required

Chris_Xtreme - 10/12/14 at 08:45 AM

yep, I couldn't find any stuff that I thought SVA inspector would be happy with.. I had put trim on and he failed me on it...

I made a cheap ali wrap round job on my old robin hood where the exhaust had sharp edges.:

[Edited on 10/12/14 by Chris_Xtreme]

theprisioner - 10/12/14 at 09:38 AM

The tip of your exhaust does not get hot enough to melt or degrade Araldite. Make up a finishing piece with copper pipe like fuel pipe or the like. Put a slit down the middle with a dremmel type tool and an abasive disc, then bond it on. I did this for one of the members of this group on a GBS car once. You can always paint it silver for the iva man.

luke2152 - 10/12/14 at 04:03 PM

Great idea on the copper pipe and araldite - I have a turbo so I wonder if my exhaust will get a bit hotter back there though.

And those guards look ok too and easy to put trim on

theprisioner - 10/12/14 at 05:02 PM

If you think it gets that hot use fire clay!