Board logo

Removing ecu plug?
coozer - 27/1/16 at 07:43 PM

Just bought a OEM Ford EEC V ecu for my 1.8 zetec. It came with the loom chopped off at the plug. Now, the plug seems to be stuck in that it moves a bit but something is stopping it coming out of the ecu. The central bolt came out but the little washer that should have pulled the plug out broke so the bolt is loose out of it without pulling the plug out. Little bits of the washer, but, no means all of it came out of the hole. Shaking it there is no rattle of the other bits.

I've pulled it hard and tried levering it out but no no no..

Anyone any ideas what's stopping it coming out? Corrosion on the pins was my first thought but there's no sign of water ingress on the top of the plug or any of the cut wires..

I'm stumped!! Help!!

big_wasa - 27/1/16 at 07:51 PM

Never seen one corroded as they usually have a trace of white grease on them.

Got a picture ?

coozer - 27/1/16 at 08:01 PM

I'm out on the road ATM but I'll post tomorrow when I get up.

The picture will just show the connector with the bolt missing.... Lol

nick205 - 28/1/16 at 09:32 AM

Never come across a corroded ECU connector, but I have seen them held in place with wire before. Is there anything you can remove or unclip to free the connector?

coozer - 28/1/16 at 04:00 PM

Nothing I can see is holding it in but it aint coming!!

big_wasa - 28/1/16 at 07:06 PM

Ok your correct the picture shows me nothing new. I've played with dozens and dozens of these and never had one solid like that.

big_wasa - 28/1/16 at 08:27 PM

It's just a bench engine so leave the plug in and join on to what's there.

r1_pete - 28/1/16 at 08:56 PM

Try pulling and pushing each individual wire, there should be a bit of slack in the moulding to allow movement, they try pulling it apart again.

Several lightly stuck pins will add up to an almighty grip.

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 10:36 AM

Seems odd that it's tight - as above, I'd check each wire to see if you have some tight connections. Failing that I'd be at it with a flat blade screwdriver to try and prise it apart.