Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: black non counter sink self tappers
jabbahutt

posted on 5/12/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
black non counter sink self tappers

Morning all

Anyone any idea where i can get some of the above. I'd like to use them for holding my rear internal panel in place and don't really want to use silver coloured screws as it'll look like George Michaels underpants

I've looked around and the ones I found are either counter sunk or wood screws which I believe won't be any good going into metal.

Any ideas of national stockists that may be worth a look?

Cheers all
Nigel

RazMan

posted on 5/12/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
eBay is your friend

How do you know what George Michael's underpants look like anyway?

[Edited on 5-12-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 5/12/07 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Do yourself a favour and use rivnuts and proper fasteners if you want it removable, or rivets if you don't.

<soapbox> Self tappers are an abomination designed to enable unskilled workers to fix things together as fast as possible (IMHO). </soapbox>

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jabbahutt

posted on 5/12/07 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for that

As per the above post then anyone know where I can get button head set screws in black

Razman please believe me it was just an analogy, honest

RazMan

posted on 5/12/07 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Would you believe eBay again!

[Edited on 5-12-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 5/12/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Or the locost option a can of old engine oil and a blowtorch.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=76424

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 5/12/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'd second using a method other than self-tappers unless you're only intending to remove that panel a couple of times.... After a couple of goes you'll inevitably damage the thread thats been cut and they'll fall out and the panel will fall off.... Not nice
daviep

posted on 5/12/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I use a company called BEAL who do black self tappers. No online shop but if you get them to send you a catalogue you will be very pleased with the prices. They do just about everything a builder will need.
jabbahutt

posted on 5/12/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Another option has just come to mind and wondered if anyone has evr used them.

Just seen the internal panel studs product code 331 on the Woolies web site. They're the type that you used to get on the door panels on older Fords with the multiple fins on the pin.

Has anyone used them and can they be removed again with a trim tool for instance.

Thanks for all the help.
Nigel

nick205

posted on 5/12/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Stick and seal with PU and few rivets (black ones if preferred). IMHO there shouldn't be any need to remove the panel once it's fitted.
02GF74

posted on 6/12/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
should have asked me!!! (ok, I was off sick)

here

shame there is no picture but imagine a posidrive semicircular head but at the base is a flange - a bit like a moulded in washer. If this is too hard to imagine, I will try to take photo and post.

closest I could find is below but the flange is a bit bigger.

I have used these screws and they will cut into mild steel, not like the sh*te you screwfix sell in their self-tapper pack.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.