Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shipping container - dealing with damp
ChrisW

posted on 27/4/10 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
And small compared to some of the APC kit I've bought in the past. We've got more masterswitch units than I can count

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 27/4/10 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I use a max/min hydrometer and thermometer combined that i got from aldi/liddle - can't remember which. Can't remember the price but I would not have paid more than a tenner.

Not sure where the necessity for 50% rh comes from sounds empirical to me but for sure you will be safe with it. my garage mostly stays around 50 to 60% rh with the occasional excursion to 70%rh whem it is raining and warmer outside than inside.

No deterioration of contents.

As an experiment put a hydrometer in your house I think you will get a shock!

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 28/4/10 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have one (well, a mini 'weather station' that someone bought me years ago on the window sill in view of my PC. Never paid any attention to it before, but since this conversation I have kept an eye on it when I remember.

Currently showing 34% at 24'C, altho it does tend to get warm in here with two PC's and a server running constantly, especially first thing in the morning when the door has closed all night.

I don't *think* I've seen it go much over 40% tho.

Chris

Fozzie

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm at 40% already this morning Chris ... room temp 21.8 .... window open, and only the lappy on ....

I keep a dehumidifier on at all times in the garage. Stu plumbed it in using a small diameter copper tube system leading to the outside where it drains into a gulley in front of the garage.

Lots of peeps think I spend ages cleaning my car, (ali) I don't.....it just looks that way because the garage is 'dry'....
However, my garage is integral, so therefore brick built.....

We do advise our customers to use this method when storing/over wintering their 'pride and joys' ... and all have been delighted with the results.....
How that would equate with a 'bare bones' metal storage container I really am unsure ....

I think I would be inclined to line it as you have proposed, and also install a dehumidifier....

HTH
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Dave Ashurst

posted on 28/4/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chris

I have a shipping container in which I've stored quality furniture for the last 3 years. Its as dry as a bone in there, no humidity, dampness or condensation issues at all.

It has no more added than a plywood floor and sprayed foam insulation overhead. Most important is no leaks and doors that clamp shut tightly on good seals.

Location is important too, mine is well protected, tucked in the bottom level in the middle of terraced two storey row.

D

ChrisW

posted on 28/4/10 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David. Unfortunatly location isn't much of a choice. It'll go in the corner of the yard at some local offices that my mate owns!

Interesting that you've done (basically) nothing and still have no issues. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing!

Chris

Dave Ashurst

posted on 28/4/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say there's nothing to worry about...

I rent mine and the rent I've paid now exceeds the value of the contents

If they HAD been consumed by mould in the first year I'd have taken the lot to the tip by now and cut my losses.

Alternatively if I'd sold it all on ebay instead of storing it I'd be a happy chap.

Just something to think about before you commit.

ChrisW

posted on 2/5/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed, thanks for that David. I have thought a lot about it, and still think it's worth it. The furniture is the driving force, and is only supposed to be in there for a year, but I'm sure all sorts of other things will find a home in there too hence thinking I'll probably keep it on. The rent I've been offered, which is obviously significantly less than renting an all-in package as I'm buying the container outright, would (roughly) break even on the replacement cost of the (furniture) contents in two years.

Chris

hobbsy

posted on 8/5/10 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
How much does a typical container cost?

If you camo'ed it a bit (start off with a green one?) do you reckon you can get away with dropping one in your back garden if you're nice to your neighbours?

I'm thinking either additional workshop space or possibly long term storage in the future (as I may need it).

scootz

posted on 8/5/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
When we were renovating the house, we put all our stuff into a couple of containers.

Cost to buy was £1100, with a guaranteed 'buy-back' of 50%. Worked out far far cheaper than renting one!

They've seen two winters and we've had no problems with damp... just make sure nothing is resting on the metal surfaces of the interior.

It's Evolution Baby!

hobbsy

posted on 8/5/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz,

Was that £1100 for the pair or each?

Do you get a choice of colour? Sounds ghey I know but a green ish colour would be preferable for stealth reasons! I have a mate who is a container spotter who knows the exact numbers of colours and shades they come in and which shipping company they belong to etc etc. Makes a long car journey on the motorway fly by "container spotting"... honest.

EDIT: Quick search on eBay reveals that ~£1k *each* with a 50% buy back within 5years is the going rate.

[Edited on 8/5/10 by hobbsy]

McLannahan

posted on 10/5/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
A company I dealt with recently offers the containers at about £700 - not silly money for what they offer.

Painting was extra £100, lock a further £50 and then delivery. Still a cheap secure space!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.