Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Just to settle an argument
chockymonster

posted on 17/1/07 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
(they weigh 1500kgs odd). Their acceleration up to about 90-100 is OK.

Up to the IV they weren't that heavy. The V was 1340 (GSR) 1200ish RS, but if you consider that's with a roof and a weight 4wd setup!

The acceleration to 90 is phenominal, some of the cars on the lancerregister are capable of 30-130 in less than 10 seconds!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 17/1/07 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Call Top Gear. Get The Stig to SPA, give him the keys to both cars, let him have at it. We'll know pretty quickly after that.

Thats the sort of thing they would take on aswell!!!

Ill go Evo if u can keep it on boost. That long back straight would leave the locost standing untill the corners.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
i guarantee though if top gear took that on thee is no way that they would let the locost win they would tweak the rules so the "real car" would ocme out on top.

or am i just being cynical

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Browser

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Well, if you made everything you could on the Locost out of ali/titanium/carbon fibre, gave it a six-speed Quaife sequential box and an ATB diff, chucked on some super-sticky slicks and put the driver on a lettuce and water diet you'd probably evenb things up a bit but out of the box I'd have to give the Mitsubishi the edge just of accelleration.
Still, it'd be a nice challenge

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
OOo, I think the Evo will win. With it having 4 wheel drive and all the electronic sh1t you don't have to slow down for corners, just chuck it in and the computer gets you round the corner

Heh Heh, not been in any quick cars then!!!

In a normally aspirated radical SR3 you can pick your spot and just drive round the EVO in any corner of your choosing, seeing them murdering their tyres while you just nip past is almost hilarious!!

The radical has ooh, well according to Radical 240hp, according to everybody elses dynos about 220hp.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:
(they weigh 1500kgs odd). Their acceleration up to about 90-100 is OK.

Up to the IV they weren't that heavy. The V was 1340 (GSR) 1200ish RS, but if you consider that's with a roof and a weight 4wd setup!

The acceleration to 90 is phenominal, some of the cars on the lancerregister are capable of 30-130 in less than 10 seconds!

Interesting though what we call "not that heavy" these days..................

my cast iron 2.9v6 sierra 4x4 is 1340kg and the lancer is supposed to be cutting edge.....hmmmmmmm....I think they call it progress............

the same "green" progress that saw the previous to current golf GTI accelerate 0-60 in the same time as the first of the mk 1's with twice the power and double the weight..................

GREAT!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Just want to add a bit more, I don't think a normal Locost will out accelerate the Evo.

In the passenger seat I saw the speedo in a work mates Evo6 go to 120mph from the bottom of the slip road to joining the carriageway a split second later. Seriously fast things they are

..........again, get out in a quick 7!!!!

mcerd1

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Interesting though what we call "not that heavy" these days..................

my cast iron 2.9v6 sierra 4x4 is 1340kg and the lancer is supposed to be cutting edge.....hmmmmmmm....I think they call it progress............

the same "green" progress that saw the previous to current golf GTI accelerate 0-60 in the same time as the first of the mk 1's with twice the power and double the weight..................

GREAT!

Thats one reason I like my 1992 pug 106 - it comes in a a bit over 760kg
(It almost makes up for its total lack of power)

My last/first car was a 1.1 1979 Fiesta weighing 730kg - it had crap handling & grip, crap brakes and <50 bhp
yet it wasn't left standing at the lights (when compared to modern 'ordinary' cars at least)

Infact my kit (once its built) could yet be the heaviest car I've ever owned (on the road atleast)

G.Man

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
So nobody thinks a 400bhp/tonne car would be as fast as a 270bhp/tonne car round a circuit?

IMO the Locost could out corner, out turn in, and out accelerate the evo... but the evo would have the edge on top speed...

Around SPA i think maybe the Evo would have the edge because of some long straights, but I would bet the Locost would be there in the corners..

As an example...

Donkervoort D8 (locost) has lapped Hockenheim with 210bhp at 1.11.6

A jun Evo with 527bhp has managed 1.10.7

An Evo 8 with 264bhp only made 1.17.2

Scaling those times, I would expect the 200bhp locost to be around 1.12 and the evo with 380 bhp to be around 1.14

Source

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

G.Man

posted on 17/1/07 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Some older nurburgring and hockenheim times here

Donkervoort is 180bhp version! manages 1.14 around hock and 8.10 round ring..

Evo 1.18 and 8.25

A Westfield Megabusa (180bhp) has done a 7.50 around the ring!!!!

Caterham superlight 233ps a 7.55...

Wikipedia

[Edited on 17/1/07 by G.Man]

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't say which would be quickest cos I didn't know, but those facts put the record straight, the 7's advantage in the corners and acceleration more than outweigh its straight line issues.

Certainly it is funny watching the 4wd turbo boats on track days murdering their tyres as the kit cars (nearly all of them) just treat them as moving chicanes.

I remember going to pass a subaru with some abbreviated name higher performance derivative or other on a track day, round the outside through coppice ( I know overtaking in a corner on a trackday...ooops! ) in an ultima, and just as about to pass realising that despite feeling like we were going at a walking pace, all his tyres were smoking and his understeer was so bad there was no way we could get past without him sliding into us.

Needless to say I'm not a big fan of heavy 4wd turbocharged cars!

alister667

posted on 17/1/07 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I didn't say which would be quickest cos I didn't know, but those facts put the record straight, the 7's advantage in the corners and acceleration more than outweigh its straight line issues.

Certainly it is funny watching the 4wd turbo boats on track days murdering their tyres as the kit cars (nearly all of them) just treat them as moving chicanes.

I remember going to pass a subaru with some abbreviated name higher performance derivative or other on a track day, round the outside through coppice ( I know overtaking in a corner on a trackday...ooops! ) in an ultima, and just as about to pass realising that despite feeling like we were going at a walking pace, all his tyres were smoking and his understeer was so bad there was no way we could get past without him sliding into us.

Needless to say I'm not a big fan of heavy 4wd turbocharged cars!

Yep you're absolutely right. I have a vivid memory of getting stuck in behind an evo - he had similar mid range acceleration and out braking into a corner on track days is a no no - anyhow we were going round fisherman's at kirkistown a double apex right hander - I was driving at what felt like slow road speeds, he was going round it 4 tyres smoking, barely hanging on.
I gave in and outbraked him at the end of the next straight and he disappeared in my mirrors!
Any half decently set up Locost will out corner and certainly outbrake a big Jap 4x4 easily.
Maybe not on a forest stage though :-)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 17/1/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Any half decently set up Locost will out corner and certainly outbrake a big Jap 4x4 easily.
Maybe not on a forest stage though :-)

...and they'd all be crap on the Paris Dakar or in the middle of a peat bog

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

SaveTheDodo

posted on 17/1/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Did anyone see the EVO (380 or 400 i'm not sure) on Top Gear - around the track it was up with the top supercars, but from a 10 mph start on the runway in 5th it was stuffed by a Fiat Stilo diesel estate.

The Stig didn't like that one!!

Andrew

G.Man

posted on 17/1/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
it was the 400

However, if anyone would be dumb enough to drive an evo like that.....

a blip of the clutch would have spun up the turbo and got it moving...

chockymonster

posted on 17/1/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaveTheDodo
Did anyone see the EVO (380 or 400 i'm not sure) on Top Gear - around the track it was up with the top supercars, but from a 10 mph start on the runway in 5th it was stuffed by a Fiat Stilo diesel estate.

The Stig didn't like that one!!

Neither did any evo owner! Of course, when we want to accelerate past someone, we stick it in top and plant it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

G.Man

posted on 18/1/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
And of course you are always out of 1st gear by 10mph...

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
What an Evo, or Scoobydoo, is great for, is this time of year!!!!

What I would personally go for though, is something without all the appendage extension bits attached to it.

I was at a pub that happened to be a subaru car meet and my goodness, what a "strange"?? bunch they are.

All bar two of the cars were exactly the same blue, all had exactly the same tone of gold wheels, all seemed to be mid thirties and a tad receding but same gelled hair, all with similar looking girlfriend looking extremely bored in tow..............

dont' think I like their club, prefer our slightly odder mix on here!!!

No, for me its the subaru legacy twin turbo estate. bigger, not much slower, better for towing, handles just as well/badly (depending on your viewpoint! ) A recent run out in a normally aspirated 6 cyl new subaru legacy estate convinced me, it really is, in terms of value for money, the best all round car I have been in of late. Its also owned by the chap who races the radical, and can drive a bit (well he won a LOT in formula ford over the years, including beating Nigel Mansell!) and even he rates its performance!!!

bob

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

PS I know where there's a 380bhp donor

I know where there's a (over) 380bhp Locost!

I dont think hicosts locost would be anywhere near the evo on Spa,it would be the areodynamics and on those long straights that would kill it.

JoelP

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I dont think hicosts locost would be anywhere near the evo on Spa,it would be the areodynamics and on those long straights that would kill it.

I can only assume you mean they would be nowhere near each other because the evo couldnt keep up? Hicosts would surely massacre it. Less than half the weight, more power (?) and a similar frontal area. Locosts are only unaerodynamic in relation to their power and weight, its not like there's a sail attached on the roof!

G.Man

posted on 18/1/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
And there is nothing stopping someone from making some aerodynamic bodywork...

I love speed :-P

posted on 18/1/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
And there is nothing stopping someone from making some aerodynamic bodywork...

nope

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

Crazy Jay

posted on 19/1/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
would we all agree though that a busa powered radical would probably blow the evo away?!

Wouldn't beat this EVO

630BHP, with anti-lag and launch control!

(for anyone who's been tp kirkistown, this car took the "bend" in the front straight at 140MPH )

novacaine

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Jay
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
launch control!

the bad drivers way of getting a quick start eh?

lol

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

JoelP

posted on 19/1/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by novacaine
Ooops, i must correct that incorrectly edited quote above!

lol

Matt

too right

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.