Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cosworth v bike engine
alanr

posted on 4/9/07 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
What about the 4 x 4 Cossie turbo on Pistonheads ( Dax section) at the moment -- Its ONLY 324bhp looks like it could be fun

A

[Edited on 4/9/07 by alanr]

higgsti

posted on 4/9/07 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
hicost in your events what times do you post against bec cars or lower powered cec out of interest and what events are they .do you pick events to suit your car ie long straights or do you not get a choice.i can understand your thrill of speed i get it every time i press the load pedal and my bhp is lower than yours cant imagine what that powers like in a seven type car
bimbleuk

posted on 4/9/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I've always gone for decent torque over a wide RPM range. I guess an extreme analogy is a big yank V8 with huge grunt but no useable rev range.

So for my recent engine install I went for the Rotrex supercharger as I knew the bottom end will be relatively weak. However the power/torque would keep on increasing right up to the redline.

For example I have 120 lbs ft at 3000RPM but 195 lbs ft at 7000RPM. So I can pretty much use full throttle from 2nd gear through to 5th. The power delivery is very linear and controllable so I haven't felt the need to fit an LSD.

One thing I have done though is change from a 4.4:1 to 3.92:1 diff. This was because I mostly drive on the road and commute when possible. The acceleration before was electric but plain silly! At least now I can cruise at 3200RPM and still out accelerate any car I've come across yet

PS I refuse to play with Hicost!

[Edited on 4/9/07 by bimbleuk]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/9/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost

Well the answer to the question is, we never really have had a true BEC enter our events. All the mountains and large mileage usually puts them off.

I think the term "fit for purpose" springs to mind here. BECs arent exactly cut out for long distance events but rather the short events and track days with setup to suit so fair to say a direct comparison isnt exactly realistic???

higgsti

posted on 4/9/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
so is your cossie engine in a seven type car or something different .i wouldnt to do endurance in my car either

[Edited on 4/9/07 by higgsti]

Uphill Racer

posted on 4/9/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Forget Curbough hicost, bring it to 3 sisters for the last sprint of the season, and bring factor 30 sun protection to...
Promise not to drool over it while its hot....

[Edited on 4/9/07 by Uphill Racer]

[Edited on 4/9/07 by Uphill Racer]

welderman

posted on 4/9/07 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
fantastic looking beast mate, do you have eight eyes like a spider to see all the switches, lights and dials.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Ivan

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hicost - I think your navigator must be truly brave and really need those footrests.

Nice car

Just out of interest what range of pressures does the boost adjuster give you and how much does it affect lag from lowest to highest boost?

ps - to stay on thread I think that for the type of event for which your car was obviously built, a normal BEC wouldn't stand a chance - ie horses for courses.

[Edited on 5/9/07 by Ivan]

alan wheeldon

posted on 5/9/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
How much does your car weigh? Your engine bay looks a bit tight, is it hard to work on?

Ive had a 380bhp Sierra Cosworth before and it handles the power no problem. Ive been wonder what it would be like transfering everything into a 7 though??

My consern is the lack of weight might mean a lack of traction, you can only go so far then it will become un usable which is basically why I started this thread.

We need to get highcost to have a play against someone who has a BEC

Built black pinto MK, black blackbird MK, yellow pinto MK. Now working on a Sierra.

logicaltuning.com (a new web site about cars and bikes)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
higgsti

posted on 5/9/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
respect
Marcus

posted on 5/9/07 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

We need to get highcost to have a play against someone who has a BEC

It was done a few years ago at Donington against the Isonblade - very interesting - the BEC was very nimble (and Jon can really drive that thing!) ISTR The cossie beast was a tad quicker over the lap with a stupid top speed (not using the, now removed, nitrous kit)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 5/9/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe hicost is my new hero!

For some time I've been thinking about a locost with a late-model BMW M3 engine.. somehow it seemed just so utterly ridiculous that it had to be done. I had never heard of these endurance events before.. but I guess I now have a reason to build something delightfully silly.

...now all I have to do is move back to Europe and start building. Hmm, I guess that won't happen anytime soon.

Oh well, for the time being, I will just keep dreaming of my 333Hp 6-cylinder "locost"

procomp

posted on 5/9/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi quote "I appreciate your opinion but don't knock it till you've tried it. "

Those comment are based upon 20+ years of building seven type cars with anything from 60 -600 bhp. And the practicality of using that bhp to its best to propell a seven in a foward direction.

Quote "It was done a few years ago at Donington against the Isonblade - very interesting - the BEC was very nimble (and Jon can really drive that thing!) ISTR The cossie beast was a tad quicker over the lap with a stupid top speed (not using the, now removed, nitrous kit) "

And what where the lap times when this took place.

cheers matt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.