Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A New Project, GT6 aluminium body
nick205

posted on 24/10/14 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Very nice to hear from you Nick and Stu and thank you so much for your encouragement which is very much appreciated. Trev D is coming down this weekend and I'm hoping that he will be able to give me a bit of guidance on adapting the Alfa bonnet. It's going to need a fair bit of re-shaping at the scuttle end but nothing too serious, (I hope!). Once that's been sorted we'll be well on the way.

How is your project coming along Nick?

My wife and I are taking the trials car to France next month just for a couple of day's holiday. The French really love the car particularly when I tell them it has a 205 GTI engine. I'll pop some pictures up when we get back. We are now running a 1.9 engine coupled to a 306 diesel turbo gearbox and this coupled with 185 80 15 tyres gives 30mph @ 1000rpm in fifth. It's an awesome cruiser.

rgds

John

Hi John

My project has reached the stage of a205 gti on the drive which is good for the occasional boat here and there. I also have a bare 205 shell in the garage which I'm slowly striping of paint and underseal and contemplating what to do with it.

Family life and work allow no real project time at present and an impending house move with a list conversion to do will slow it to a stop. The bonus is a large garage/workshop to fill with more parts while I work on the house.

Have you any recent pics of the trials car? I'm sure others on here will be equally interested to see it.

Regards
Nick

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Above your skill level!?

Come on John I don't believe that!

John Bonnett

posted on 24/10/14 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Very nice to hear from you Nick and Stu and thank you so much for your encouragement which is very much appreciated. Trev D is coming down this weekend and I'm hoping that he will be able to give me a bit of guidance on adapting the Alfa bonnet. It's going to need a fair bit of re-shaping at the scuttle end but nothing too serious, (I hope!). Once that's been sorted we'll be well on the way.

How is your project coming along Nick?

My wife and I are taking the trials car to France next month just for a couple of day's holiday. The French really love the car particularly when I tell them it has a 205 GTI engine. I'll pop some pictures up when we get back. We are now running a 1.9 engine coupled to a 306 diesel turbo gearbox and this coupled with 185 80 15 tyres gives 30mph @ 1000rpm in fifth. It's an awesome cruiser.

rgds

John

Hi John

My project has reached the stage of a205 gti on the drive which is good for the occasional boat here and there. I also have a bare 205 shell in the garage which I'm slowly striping of paint and underseal and contemplating what to do with it.

Family life and work allow no real project time at present and an impending house move with a list conversion to do will slow it to a stop. The bonus is a large garage/workshop to fill with more parts while I work on the house.

Have you any recent pics of the trials car? I'm sure others on here will be equally interested to see it.

Regards
Nick

I'm sure you will be really pleased with your new workshop Nick; something well worth waiting for.

I don't actually have any recent photos of the trials car but as soon as I do I pop them on. In the meantime here's a short in-car video taken on the Exeter Trial by son Chris and his wife. Simms is one two and a half and a well know "Stopper" on the Exeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btkIaqz431s&index=3&list=UUdbSVLdrYRu_fTzbPdgkZSQ

John Bonnett

posted on 29/10/14 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was so privileged to have Trev D spend a day with me to help me with the project. He spent some time tidying up my shoddy workmanship and he has transformed the tailgate area. It shut better and the shut lines and gaps are very much better. He then turned his attention to the bonnet and after re-working the up-stand at the scuttle end we were able to offer it up. It all looks quite promising.

Today, I have made a start on the right hand rear wing which will be the last panel to finish the job.

rdodger

posted on 29/10/14 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Wow John it's going to be sooooo good!

Don't let anyone tell you it's shoddy!

John Bonnett

posted on 29/10/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That's really kind of you to say that but there is a huge difference between my work and Trev's. He is the consummate professional and I'm just an enthusiastic amateur. His skill with just a hammer and a weight is amazing to watch and I can tell you I was there just soaking up the experience like a sponge watching the shut line improve before my eyes. It really was a piece of magic. I wonder if he would come back and do the same with the doors?

rdodger

posted on 29/10/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
It would be a bit rude of him not to come back

John Bonnett

posted on 29/10/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote

nick205

posted on 29/10/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

That's really kind of you to say that but there is a huge difference between my work and Trev's. He is the consummate professional and I'm just an enthusiastic amateur. His skill with just a hammer and a weight is amazing to watch and I can tell you I was there just soaking up the experience like a sponge watching the shut line improve before my eyes. It really was a piece of magic. I wonder if he would come back and do the same with the doors?

How good was the tea/coffee and what class of biscuitage was on offer

John Bonnett

posted on 30/10/14 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
quote:

How good was the tea/coffee and what class of biscuitage was on offer

Hopefully good enough Nick

MikeRJ

posted on 30/10/14 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

An enthusiastic amateur with some seriously impressive skills. I'm happy replacing steel panels and simple fabrication holds little fear for me, but your project just blows me away. I can't wait to see the finished car

John Bonnett

posted on 30/10/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

An enthusiastic amateur with some seriously impressive skills. I'm happy replacing steel panels and simple fabrication holds little fear for me, but your project just blows me away. I can't wait to see the finished car

Mike nice to hear from you and thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I notice that you are in Devon so cannot be too far away from us. You would be most welcome to pop in any time for a chat and a cuppa. I'd be delighted to see you.

Kind regards

John

John Bonnett

posted on 2/11/14 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
The wing buck I'd made for the other side is reversible and turning it round worked out quite nicely with not much work being needed to mount it to the body.

The return started as a flat piece of sheet folded to a right angle and then shrunk and stretched as necessary to match the shape needed. A lot of shrinking is going to be needed to give the necessary taper. That's going to be quite challenging!

[Edited on 2/11/14 by John Bonnett]

posted on 2/11/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Oi John.

Would you mind slowing down a bit ? No bugga can keep up with ya !

Paul G

John Bonnett

posted on 2/11/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Oi John.

Paul G

Was it Gladstone or Disraeli of whom it was said, "An old man in a hurry" And it's not stainless like yours Paul so like me it has a limited life

posted on 3/11/14 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Oi John.

Paul G

Was it Gladstone or Disraeli of whom it was said, "An old man in a hurry" And it's not stainless like yours Paul so like me it has a limited life

I didn't have a choice John. It's all I could afford.

Have you seen the price of paint lately ?

Paul G

John Bonnett

posted on 3/11/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Oi John.

Paul G

I didn't have a choice John. It's all I could afford.

Have you seen the price of paint lately ?

Paul G

Perhaps we should have a Plan B then Paul. I know how much you love polishing so fancy coming down and buffing up the ali?

John Bonnett

posted on 7/11/14 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
The return took a bit of shrinking but the annealing did the trick and all turned out quite nicely. Two wing sub panels in place ready to weld together.

John Bonnett

posted on 7/11/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Slow progress today but I've gas welded the main wing sub-panels together ready to weld the assembly to the return. That will be a weld of about seven feet.

John Bonnett

posted on 16/11/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pleased to report a bit more progress since my last offering. On this side I've decided to form the B post return separately rather than tap it over as I did on the other side. This has the advantage that the bend is crisper and the actual B post won't need a supporting stay to withstand the tapping round. Starting with a flat strip I put a fold in not a right angle but enough to break the line and then I annealed the bit that would need stretching. This minimises the risk of the aluminium splitting. using a combination of shrinking and stretching the return was quite easily formed. The remaining sub-panels were gas welded to the main wing section. All that is left to complete the wing is to weld on the return and tap the return round the wheel arch.

[Edited on 16/11/14 by John Bonnett]

rdodger

posted on 16/11/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic as always!

John Bonnett

posted on 16/11/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Fantastic as always!

You have no idea how much I appreciate the encouragement and kind words I receive on this forum. Thank you so much.

I really feel we are on a roll now with the end in sight. This wing will see the bodywork finished just leaving the bonnet which Trev D's colleague Martin is going complete when I have made the supporting frame and worked out where it needs welding. All quite exciting.

John

rdodger

posted on 16/11/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think we all look forward to the updates and can't wait to see it finished!

Can I ask about the welding? Is it all gas welded? If so why is it gas rather than tig? Sorry if you have already told us earlier in the thread.

John Bonnett

posted on 16/11/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I think we all look forward to the updates and can't wait to see it finished!

Can I ask about the welding? Is it all gas welded? If so why is it gas rather than tig? Sorry if you have already told us earlier in the thread.

I've gas welded most of the panels because the weld bead is very malleable and the heat affected zone is annealed. This makes the planishing and further working of the panel easier than if they had been TIG welded. The long weld across the rear of the body below the tailgate aperture is TIG welded because it would have been difficult to wash the flux off if it had been gas welded. I shall also TIG weld the B Post return onto the wing because this will lead to minimal distortion and no further forming will be needed. I'll just need to sand the weld bead flush. That's the plan anyway. I hope to report some good news tomorrow night!

rdodger

posted on 16/11/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
That's interesting thanks.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.