Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Soundproofing
oliwb

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Soundproofing

I'm wondering if someone could recommend an alternative to these (expensive) pre-cut soundproof matting? I'm hoping someone might know where to get a roll of soundproof material on the cheap?! Cheers. Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kj

posted on 17/11/08 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
is it for car or home?
grazzledazzle

posted on 17/11/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Head down to a top marques breakers and start stripping. The average BMW or Audi is full of the stuff and should be pretty cheap.

Edited to say strip the car not yourself....probably won't help

[Edited on 17/11/08 by grazzledazzle]

Chippy

posted on 17/11/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
There is a firm on Ebay that does carpet underfelt that make wonderful sound proofing, and not too dear. I purchased some and it made a hell of a difference. I can't remember the name but if you search for carpet underlay, his add actually states to use as sound proofing. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/11/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I got piles from woolies for little money and packed the bluebird with the stuff, what a difference it made, actually have the heater turned right down most of the time now as it gets so hot and is very quiet indeed. Best places are the engine bulkhead and the rear arches. Use thin stuff behind door panels etc. its over an inch thick on the floors

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oliwb

posted on 19/11/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, just ordered some off woolies. We don't really have a local scrapper who would have BMW's unfortunately! Well not that I know of anyway! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

Mark Allanson

posted on 19/11/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Any bodyshop suppliers should have 500x500mm self adhesive sound pads for around £3.00 each

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.