Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What happens if you just walk out of a job?
Guinness

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
What happens if you just walk out of a job?

Never done it myself, but seriously tempted today.

I've always handed my notice in, worked diligently and just as hard until the day I've left.

The company owe me expenses, bonuses and some wages. I owe them a few days unpaid holiday.

Mike

tegwin

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Depends why you want to leave I guess...

If you pi$$ them off... they wont give you a referance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mookaloid

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
You've always done the right thing Mike. Don't burn your bridges!

Good luck with the job hunting

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

wilkingj

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you walk out, they will stop paying you!

I would sort out the monies before you actually leave. Do it when you hand your notice in, and it may depend on what amount of notice you are required to give.

Last job I left was as a washer upper in the main Co-Op Bakery Staff Canteen in 1969 just 40 years ago... Not sure what the current regulations are as I havent left a job since getting my current job all those years ago. (Sad B'Stard been in the same job for 40 years)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you need a reference then dont. If you dont need a reference then scribble your notice onto a scrap of paper (they love this) then take your notice off as sick. Inform your doctor of depression and he'll produce a sick note.

Theyll then have to pay you everything they owe you minus what you owe them.

Please note - this is whats wrong with the country these days. haha.

Craig

smart51

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, you don't get paid nearly so much as you did before.

Secondly, as breach of contract, they could sue you for their losses with respect to work they may have contracted for that you don't do.

Mostly, I'd have thought companies would withhold pay for the time you don't work and would subtract from anything they owe you the things you owe them, such as unaccrued holidays.

The likelyhood of a good reference would be less too. Some companies take the legal precaution of saying very little on references for fear of being sued. Most will say all the good things about you, leaving a very short reference for bad employees and hoping the new company reads between the lines. Some will actually stick their neck out and say bad things about you.

dogwood

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
NOOOOOO. don't just walk out....
Smack the manager, or whoever is pi***ng you off right in the mouth.
It won't do much for your references.
But BOY does it feel good.....

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Guinness

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogwood
NOOOOOO. don't just walk out....
Smack the manager, or whoever is pi***ng you off right in the mouth.
It won't do much for your references.
But BOY does it feel good.....

David

Tempting!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
You get your pay up to the last day you left and that it

I’ve walk out twice from jobs, once really landing them in the sh$t on purpose, apparently my ‘old’ boss was raging serves the c%nt right though

Fortunately I’ve always landed on my feet but if you have an option give your notice and use unused holiday time to reduce the notice period, that’s if they are going to give you a reference. Get a written one rather than a promised reference as they can then go back on their word and give you a bad one if an future employer phones them up.

Even if things are bad it's best to stick with a job until you are 110% sure you are about to walk into another.

Use the time to search for dirt on your boss to then blackmail him in the future or any compromising pictures with women staff to e-mail to his wife.

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it... probably one of the most liberating things I've ever done!

I started my career at 16 and remained within the same surroundings for 15 years. I then had to leave through ill health. Was a bit lost as it was all I had ever done, or wanted to do!

Anyway, some time went by and I started to look for another job... found one with my Local Authority that ticked all the boxes, so was delighted to get going again!

Very quickly realised that all the tales of bureaucracy, procrastination and fiscal-waste relating to the Local Authority were true. I was pulling my hair out as there was no common sense in any of the decision making and I was effectively being paid to arrange the pens on my desk in a neat order!

Anyway, one day had enough, so chapped out a letter of resignation, took it through to my 'boss', popped it on his desk and walked away! Felt great!

One word of warning though... future employers can be put off when they see 'points of principal' resignations on a CV. Also bear in mind that future employers might only take references from your LAST employer, and they might not be in the mood to write anything nice about you!

You make your bed, you have to lie in it...

DarrenW

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was told a while back that you should never EVER burn your bridges. You just never know who you might come across in a future career - but you know that already. For today it would be better to have a little walk outside, fill your lungs with fresh air and count to 10 slowly!!

Better to work your notice. Ive heard of people saying they are going to work for a competitor and being invited to leave the premises immediately and have notice pay paid up.

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
at least you have a contract... I have been here 9 months and still nothing accept my offer letter. I don't even know how much notice I have to give....

It must be something in the water with bosses being nobs at the moment.

Guinness

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the bosses that are the problem. It's the client!

Thanks for the advice lads, will have a cuppa, chill for 5 minutes, then carefully type out a nice letter and hand it in on a day when I'm a bit calmer!

Cheers

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
at least you have a contract... I have been here 9 months and still nothing accept my offer letter. I don't even know how much notice I have to give....

eh?! why haven't you brought this up with HR? what is it you do?

BenB

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
If you need a reference then dont. If you dont need a reference then scribble your notice onto a scrap of paper (they love this) then take your notice off as sick. Inform your doctor of depression and he'll produce a sick note.

That might work. But if you're not depressed your Dr may see through it and even if they fall for it you'll have depression as a problem in your notes which might effect your ability to get life insurance and therefore a mortgage....

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
HAHA!

I have, and the CEO. No one has them here. Its a joke.

On the plus side, if I was to leave I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to give any notice.

That would bugger them. Project manage THAT.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

cd.thomson

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

That might work. But if you're not depressed your Dr may see through it and even if they fall for it you'll have depression as a problem in your notes which might effect your ability to get life insurance and therefore a mortgage....

And your dream job, as I found out last month.

If I wasnt down before...

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
HAHA!

On the plus side, if I was to leave I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to give any notice.

quote:
quote:

If you haven’t signed a contract you have zero obligation to them to work any notice. Unfortunately that also applies to you, if they want to lay you off it is goodbye no come back on them plus without a contract you may struggle to get a specific number of days off as holiday. It’s actually in your best interest to push for one

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I know, its scary - but at the same time someone else in the office said that if we have received x number of payslips, along with the offer letter proves we have worked for the company, and so we would have certain rights.

Still its all a bit ropey isn;t it.

I mention it on each one2one I have and everyone talks about it in the office a lot. I'm not sure if it is incompitence or on purpose now though....

quote:
quote:
HAHA!

quote:
quote:

If you haven’t signed a contract you have zero obligation to them to work any notice. Unfortunately that also applies to you, if they want to lay you off it is goodbye no come back on them plus without a contract you may struggle to get a specific number of days off as holiday. It’s actually in your best interest to push for one

iank

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
If I were the CEO of a company and 'my' HR dept hadn't produced contracts when directly instructed they would get a short target date and the HR Manager would be left under no illusions that their own career would have a bit of a crimp put in it if they didn't hit that date.

quote:
I know, its scary - but at the same time someone else in the office said that if we have received x number of payslips, along with the offer letter proves we have worked for the company, and so we would have certain rights.

Still its all a bit ropey isn;t it.

I mention it on each one2one I have and everyone talks about it in the office a lot. I'm not sure if it is incompitence or on purpose now though....

quote:
quote:
HAHA!

quote:
quote:

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeR

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
If the company offers you a contract and you don't sign it but continue to work for them - legally you're classed as having signed it. This is what i think you're referring to with regard to taking pay slips.

Its my understanding that the law of contract termination is a little muddled. You only have to give the same notice as they pay you, ie if you're paid monthly you give a months notice. Having said that if you're on a 3 month notice period and only give a month the company can moan that you are in breach of contract. The issue is its not usually worth the companies time to pursue you (unless you're a small company and the director wants to make a point).

As for quitting without notice - if you just don't bother coming in the company & don't tell anyone, the company will after a few days of non contact start a disciplinary procedure, which will eventually lead up to them dismissing you.

If you tell people, then you are intentionally breaching contract. See above for 3 months. Reality is the company will just refuse to pay you any money outstanding and suggest you call it quits. You've shafted them, they're shafting you.

What was the final question? errrm.....

References - managers are very adapt at reading what isn't there. My company now only give the most basic of factual references to avoid being prosecuted. ie start & end dates, days sick, would we have them back. I think they also include disciplinary information, but I'm not sure.

If I get a reference that just says they worked for me, had these days off. I read into that and don't hire the person.

Mike - having written all that, have a chat with your boss. Explain the customer is being a git. Its possible your boss may be able to have a word with someone else quietly and sort things out.

MikeR

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
ps. i last did our HR refresher about 18 months ago so bear that in mind.

pps if you want to quit with style either do a or b below. I've done both as jokes and once had the comedy of HR thinking I was serious (serves my boss right for trying to play a trick on his boss).

a) take a post it note. Date it, write "I quit", sign it. Legally thats all you need although HR will chase about notice period.

b) create a standard A4 form with everything pre-filled in as much as possible. Have the main section as reasons why your quitting with tick boxes by each one. Have it pinned to your desk wall. Take it down, fill in the date, tick some boxes, write your managers name, sign.

Finally - don't burn bridges, I'm back at my first employer and have done 10+ years on this stint. Rather glad I was nice to them when I left as I needed a job back quickly and they took me back.

Jubal

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That is illegal. They are obliged to provide a contract within two months.

ETA:

Written statements

If you are an employee, you must get a ‘written statement of employment particulars’ setting out some of your main terms. Your employer must give you this within two months of starting work. The statement must include:

pay
hours of work
holiday entitlement
sick pay arrangements
notice periods
information about disciplinary and grievance procedures

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Jubal]

Dangle_kt

posted on 16/2/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Derik,

Does it actually stand for anything? I mean, if I go in moaning about stuff being illegal, it still doesn't change anything does it I'm still out the door if they want with no notice aren't I?

Our HR manager is... "special" I think she/he has a letter from his/her mum about why she/he can't do PE this year, or anything else for that matter.

(thought I better start being vague in case G Orwell was right...)

quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
quote:

That is illegal. They are obliged to provide a contract within two months.

ETA:

Written statements

If you are an employee, you must get a ‘written statement of employment particulars’ setting out some of your main terms. Your employer must give you this within two months of starting work. The statement must include:

pay
hours of work
holiday entitlement
sick pay arrangements
notice periods
information about disciplinary and grievance procedures

[Edited on 16/2/09 by Jubal]

quinnj3

posted on 16/2/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
It is illegal for a company not to give you a contract. I have never signed a contract for the company I work for but then it is a small company. I don't make it an issue though as I have never been 'off' with any of my employers. I am also a member of Unite the union so if I was shafted I would soon shaft back due to there being witnesses, payslips and bank statements all which would point to being an employee. I also would never burn bridges who knows when you might need them again. I used to work in a slaughter house as a maintenance electrician, hated the job being stuck in amongst the blood and guts but I know that if I lost my own job due to lack of work, I could walk straight in there as they still haven't found a spark that is competent enough to do the work after well over a year.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.