Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension materials
chrisf

posted on 9/3/04 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension materials

I'm looking for advice on A-arm materials. Currently, I plan to use 3/4", .125" DOM. I plan on using heim joints for the suspension. Rather than thread the the male heim joint into the DOM, I want to weld a 4030 threaded tube adaptor. Is this the adviseable materials to use or can I get away with something lighter--ie thinner wall, etc?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 10/3/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Drawn Over Mandrel with tube insets should be fine. If you want to go a bit OTT you can also get them nitotec's as I did.
cheers
Rob

http://www.nitrotec.co.uk/properties/properties_frames.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cymtriks

posted on 10/3/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
better tubes

Go up in tube diameter before increasing the wall thickness. The lower wishbone tubes are loaded in bending and the book design relies on that big 1/8 inch plate to stop it from folding up over bumps. Moving the coil pickup closer to the hub is a good thing, check out a Caterham, it gets much closer than the book design and is less loaded as a result.

A one inch 14 gauge tube or 16 gauge tube would be stronger and lighter than the 3/4 inch 1/8 wall tube.

The 16 g tube can take 25% more load and the 14g one can take 33% more load.

Alan B

posted on 10/3/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Most of my rear suspension links are 1" 16g tube with welded in threaded bungs (1/2-20 UNF).....no bending loads on any though....seem very strong indeed....
batfasturd

posted on 10/3/04 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
well the kit i bought just had normal welded seam tube apparently in 16swg.
Alan B

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing much wrong with ERW (welded tube) IMO.....in 20 years of usage I've never seen a failure (seam split)....I think it is pretty well made these days
JoelP

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
certainly hope so! my bones are 16g 3/4 inch round ERW, plus the 3mm plate is a bit chopped about. I think this will be the first thing i replace, cos its not very good...

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Spose 15mm copper pipe and yorkshire fittings are out of the question then?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Terrapin_racing

posted on 11/3/04 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I know of a failure on rear training arms on a Mallock that were 3/4" 1/16g and these had to be beefed up.
However it was pushing out over 200bhp.

Check out the Nitrotec treament I mentioned earlier. I judge at Formula Student and I see it appearing on thinner and thinner gauge tubing all the time!

I honestly do think we are prone to over engineering - but not a bad thing for road use.

I attach an interesting article for interest

Terrapin_racing

posted on 11/3/04 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
PS: Just saw the copper tubing post

Interestingly enough I have seen a prototype chassis made up in 15mm copper and solder fittings - beats wood mock up I suppose!
so there........

chrisf

posted on 11/3/04 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the advice. I am now clear as to what the A Arms will be made of. My current plan is to build the suspension out of the 1" DOM. I really want to build this car so I can enjoy it next summer. When it is complete, I will start experimenting with Ti tube and the suggested coating. That is the dream anyhow...

--Thanks all, Chris

Bob C

posted on 11/3/04 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
We have to over-engineer, or we'll die! As amatuer builders we do one or two cars in a lifetime & there's no way we can do all the analysis and testing Mr Ford does on his new models - it's generally a case of "if it looks right" & make it way too strong. I'm doing an IRS for my locost. OK I can estimate static, sideways and braking forces but my biggest concern is "pothole" stress trying to rip a wheel off, I think all I can do is make it really strong! So I'm putting 1" sq. tube down the transmission tunnel top as well. If I'm still posting here in 3 yrs time then it must be over engineered!
cheers
Bob C

Terrapin_racing

posted on 11/3/04 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need it over engineered with those roads around Knutsford Bob
Bob C

posted on 11/3/04 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
ahh you've visited then.....
actually there's some nice roads hereabouts, my commute to congleton is V pleasant (not fast mind you). Too many roads ruined by gatsos & their ilk - the cat&fiddle road has its own police helicopter on nice days!
Bob C

chrisf

posted on 11/3/04 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear BobC is dealing with the pot holes. I'm relying a bit on his suspension design!

I forgot to add that, after all the hard work, it looks like heim joints are not in the cards. For all the material, the cost would be about $100 USD/corner. Not locost at all. So, it looks like Delrin will win out.

[Edited on 11/3/04 by chrisf]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.