Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flip hot books
Benzine

posted on 20/8/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Flip hot books

Until a couple of years ago I wasn't much of a reader, now I read all the time and I'm after some book recommendations. I went into a book shop the other day and had no idea what I'd like, I know what to look for music wise (i.e. good review sites/forums) but book-wise I'm stumped, feels like I'm in a shop and it's all in another language. I'm travelling around scotland being a hippy at the moment so I've got lots of time to read ^_^

I like non-fiction about history/wars and fiction which is believable. I can't get into any fantasy stuff at all, maybe I've tried the wrong books though so convince me otherwise if that's your cup of tea

Read recently: 6 Wilbur smith books, a couple of Bryce courtenays, J.Ballard - Empire of the sun, about to start Conn Iggulden - Emperor.

tl;dr: recommend awesome books

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 20/8/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Tom Clancy has a large back catalogue, people may scoff, but I really enjoyed his books, especially the Ryanverse series...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Guinness

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've been reading the "Gabriel Allon" series from Daniel Silva.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Silva

Pretty good hit man / spy thriller, (providing you don't have any preconcevied or firmly held political ideas about the Palestinian / Israeli conflict).

Mike

Snuggs

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant

http://americanfiction.suite101.com/article.cfm/replay_by_ken_grimwood_review

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Benzine

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness

Pretty good hit man / spy thriller, (providing you don't have any preconcevied or firmly held political ideas about the Palestinian / Israeli conflict).

Mike

Erm...Palestinian girlfriend I certainly do have views on the subject, pretty much in line with Noam Chomsky

quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
Brilliant

That looks interesting! Might have to give that one a go.

Tom Clancy... is that modern warfare stuff?

[Edited on 20/8/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodders

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
One of my favourite authors is James Clavell, he writes fictional but very believable historical stuff. Shogun, Tai-Pan and King Rat are his best novels but its best to read them in historical order. In the middle of Whirlwind at the moment which is not to bad. They are big books but worth the read.

Tom Clancy stuff is also good but long, make sure you read the ones he wrote not the ones he put his just put his name to. Without remorse is one of my favourites.

Rhod

[Edited on 20/8/09 by rodders]

Guinness

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

Mike

Erm...Palestinian girlfriend I certainly do have views on the subject, pretty much in line with Noam Chomsky

Right, forget I said anything then! [Goes off to hide behind sofa]

Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the Robert Ludlum books are good if you like thrillers (he wrote the Bourne Trilogy). There were a bunch written after his death by Eric Van Lustbader (some credited to Ludlum) that aren't as good IMO.
Fozzie

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bernard Cornwall.
A Brit living in the US now.

His books are great, and goes to great length to research and get right....

Can thoroughly recommend the 'Arthur' books, Grail Quest and Stonehenge.....the others are pretty damn good too.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/

(O.H. has complete set of the lot..... )

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Benzine

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodders
One of my favourite authors is James Clavell, he writes fictional but very believable historical stuff. Shogun, Tai-Pan and King Rat are his best novels but its best to read them in historical order. In the middle of Whirlwind at the moment which is not to bad. They are big books but worth the read.

That sounds right up my alley, I'll have to give those books a go!

quote:
Right, forget I said anything then! [Goes off to hide behind sofa]

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Most of the Robert Ludlum books are good if you like thrillers (he wrote the Bourne Trilogy). There were a bunch written after his death by Eric Van Lustbader (some credited to Ludlum) that aren't as good IMO.

Ahh cool I have a couple of Ludlum audiobooks which I'll have to listen to soon, not read any of his work yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
Bernard Cornwall.
A Brit living in the US now.

His books are great, and goes to great length to research and get right....

Can thoroughly recommend the 'Arthur' books, Grail Quest and Stonehenge.....the others are pretty damn good too.

Cool, I have Harlequin on audiobook which I've not listened to yet, nor have I read any of his stuff so far. I'll give that a listen soon ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming

[Edited on 20/8/09 by Benzine]

Fozzie

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ah that's good, as Harlequin is the first in the set....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

beagley

posted on 20/8/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this fits your pallet of "believable" fiction, but Michael Crichton books were always favorites of mine. They tend to be about emerging technology stuff like genetic modification, jurassic park and the lost world were awesome! MUCH more so than the movies. The Great Train Robbery is another one of his best in my opinion. Andromeda Strain, Timeline (skip the movie PLEASE!), Congo, Disclosure (awesome movie too), Prey, Next, State of Fear.... I could go on, all good reads.

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/8/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just remembered the last book I read on holiday, 'Notes from a small island' by Bill Bryson.

It's well worth a read at some stage. It's sort of a mix of interesting facts and observational humour on Britain from an American who lived over here for 20 odd years.

nstrug

posted on 20/8/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you enjoy historical fiction have a look at Edward Rutherfurd. I've read 'London', 'Sarum' and 'The Forest'. His schtick is to follow the history of a set of families from a point in the distant past (e.g. the Roman Conquest in 'London' right up to the present day, interweaving real historical events and figures as he does so.

The research is incredibly detailed and you end up learning a lot of history (and geography, geology, anthropology, linguistics) by the back door.

On a completely different note, if you want to give fantasy and science fiction another go, I really recommend Robin Hobb (start with 'Assassin's Apprentice' and Peter Hamilton (start with 'The Reality Dysfunction'

Finally, Neal Stephenson merges historical fiction, thriller, sci-fi, crime novels all togeher - try 'Quicksilver' (first book of 'The Baroque Cycle' and 'Cryptonomicon', which is more of a straightforward thriller - but with lots of interesting maths thrown in.

Nick

rusty nuts

Any of the Bernard Cornwell books are well worth a read ,my favourite is probably Wildtrack and the Sharpe series. If you like Cornwell check out Outlaw by Angus Donald . Wolf of the plains and the rest of the trilogy by Conn Iggulden are good
Nash

Matthew Reilly is good in my opinion The first 200 pages of Ice Station is a Fire fight and I couldn't put it down. when the fight had finished I was exhausted!

Bob Judd (Dick Francis on wheels) the whole series is a good read.

My son is an avid Anthony Horriwitz fan and they quite entertaining.

..........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

nstrug

posted on 20/8/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, locostbuilders has decided to turn all right parentheses into smileys...

Nick

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
For a light/comedy read, try Tom Holt - start with Paint your Dragon or The Portable Door.

For an ex SAS/Police undercover type read, Stephen Leather is your man. Start with Hard Landing.

dmac

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you like non fiction, try

'Bravo two zero' by Andy McNab and 'The one that got away' by Chris Ryan, two different perspectives on an SAS mission in Iraq

or

'Touching the void' by Joe Simpson about an accident on a mountain climb.

Duncan

JoelP

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
ive just read Harry Patch's biography, which i must say was an excellent read (he was the last survivor of the WW1 trenches). Am currently reading a book called Dresden, oddly enough about the bombing of Dresden. A bit of a depressing read tbh but fascinating analysis of what happened and how. And remarkably gripping!

I could suggest a library full of SF and fantasy though! Would agree though that Bernard Cornwell is a talented yarn teller.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Jubal

posted on 20/8/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
We really liked the Matthew Shardlake books by C J Sansom. Humpback lawyer fiction set in Cromwell/Tudor times. Don't knock it till you've tried it
mookaloid

posted on 20/8/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've been an avid reader since I was a kid.

I would recommend Wilbur Smith - as you have already found him, Try Michael Connelly the Harry Bosch series of novels - start with the Black Echo then there's about 20 more to read and if you read them in order they all follow on.

Ken Follett - start with Pillars of the Earth then World Without End

Martin Cruz Smith

More Wilbur Smith

Lee Child

Tom Clancy

Did I mention Wilbur Smith?

Robert Ludlum

Peter Robinson - Yorkshire Detective series, can't think why I like this

James Ellroy

too many to list but they should keep you busy for a while

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

twybrow

posted on 20/8/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Touching the Void - an awesome book. In a similar light, Edmund Hillarys autobiography was the one book I simply could not stop reading!
Benzine

posted on 21/8/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Benzine

posted on 29/8/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
Brilliant

Just finished this book, awesome! Thanks for recommending it

I bought a load of other books that people recommended in this thread too, not sure which to start next...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.