Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reverse chain drive
aitch

posted on 7/12/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
reverse chain drive

been searching for about an hour now and found nothing specific s thought id take a risk and ask

what have people done about reverse gear with chain drive BEC

i really looking for the most cost effective solution

thanks
aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 7/12/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not really considered it before, but I'd guess you'd be looking at something like a starter motor mounted on the diff carrier and driving a 2nd chain/sprocket on the crownwheel...?

Might be worth speaking to Martin Keenan @ MK Engineering to ask if he's done anything for the new MK Midi. Or maybe Syla with their R1ot?

zilspeed

posted on 7/12/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Or maybe Douglas at www.westgarage.co.uk seeing as this is one of his specialities.

russbost

posted on 7/12/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine for the Furore. Wouldn't really call it locost tho' it's the machining for the diff can & the reverse sprocket & spacers that adds up!

[img]http:// Diff with reverse
Diff with reverse
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T66

posted on 7/12/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Almost certain Martin Keenan does a complete reverse setup...

Cannot recall how much though.

Been looking about myself and not found a great deal.

Jon Ison

posted on 7/12/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
How often do you think you will need reverse ?

The only time I have bothered is on race cars that have required one to get through scrutineering, ah IVA now requires reverse ?

I did a locost version on the GT1 chain driven, 12v golf cart motor, same pitch chain as drive train fixed to sprocket on cart motor, all fitted on a pivot and pulled into mesh with a 2nd hand brake lever and cable, satisfied MSA scrutineers.

aitch

posted on 7/12/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it will end up a starter motor, has to be the cheapest option then just try and avoid reverse

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 7/12/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Best one I have seen is the Lynx AE unit which drives a cog on the gearbox output.
I think the Motaleria used one
http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-Bikesports.htm

Have a look at nitram38 photo archive, he has some pictures
Description
Description

[Edited on 7/12/09 by minitici]

madrallysport

posted on 7/12/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Quaife do a unit very very strong, but not cheap Quaife chain forward / reverse drive unit

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

aitch

posted on 7/12/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
wow just spent ages going through nitram38 projectx pics,

the reverse is a little more elegant driving a gear attached to the output shaft of the gearbox along side the chain sprocket

all in all an inspiratio to look through his pics, a shame he doesnt have a web site,,, im guessing he doesnt have the time

aitch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.