Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec engines post 95
AndyLockwood

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec engines post 95

has anyone got any info on fitting post 95 zetec engines.

looking for common problems, fitting cats, sourcing suitable cats, problem with iva etc

Thanks in advance

Andy

coozer

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone can make a cat equipped exhaust, but injection required then. Only problem is cost then, or maybe not, depending how clever/resourceful you are.

Easier (cheaper) to go pre 95 to round these issues IMO.

Where abouts are you? Sure you can visit someone who's done it and pick their brains

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tomprescott

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware (and I'm not up to much with zetec's) is that you need to have the correct key for the immobiliser(?) which may be an issue if you're buying a second hand engine that isn't complete!

As for cat yeah you'll need one but shouldn't be a problem!

luke

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I know this may sound completely dumb but can't you put a cat on an engine with carbs?

I've got a post 95 engine, and was going to bike carb it.

blakep82

posted on 14/12/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
^ yep you can, and you don't need injection for a cat.
take a zetec, fit a cat (from the same car as the engine for example) into the exhaust, done

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

AndyLockwood

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
i was just curious as so many people seem to prefer pre 95 engines so they dont have to cat but the availability and cost of post 95 efi zetecs is good and if all that is required is to fit the cat and relevant electronics then why not.
big_wasa

posted on 14/12/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you run a cat on carbs it will not last long due to a rich mixture. Running a cat will be no guarantee that you can adjust the mixture to get the required levells and have a drivable car with good power.

If you could just stick a cat on a carbed car you would still be able to buy a Lada

You can run the standard ford ecu's if your doing the job on a budget. Upto 1994 no immobilizer late 94 to around 97 has the first pats Immobilizer You will need the keys and the antena from around the ignition switch. After 97 the security gets serious with the ecu needing the keys and the correct code from the alarm. Read this as mega work.

after 95 the ecu changed from the 60 pin eec-iv ecu to 104pin eec-v. Lots of wiring.

Vid

with a good filter and exhaust on a 2.0L you should get 150bhp

All in my own humble opinion

[Edited on 14/12/09 by big_wasa]

AndyLockwood

posted on 14/12/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
so i shouldnt have any problems using a 1.8 zetec 1996 with ecu and ignition wired as normal and a cat fitted in the exhaust?
big_wasa

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Its doable if your ok with wiring.

Ive wired about half a dozen of these up.

Infact ive sold all the go faster bits and am fitting a 97 ecu and going locost.

The money Ive got back on the bits has bought me a 2002 175 bhp tintop with half leather and air con

If you go that route then by all means give me a u2 if you need any pointers with the wiring.

big_wasa

posted on 14/12/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another vid

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.