Securing Mushroom Adapters

Just found this on Haynes Forum

Apollogies if its been posted before...

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3444

might save someone a failure

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

locostbuyer83

posted on 13/1/10 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
thats handy, never seen that before... thanks.
tomgregory2000

posted on 13/1/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I dont see how they would pop out as in my mind there is no pulling load on the top wish bone, all the force is going through the bottom wish bone and the top one stops the wheel falling over.

I could be wrong but if i am please explane

gavin174

posted on 13/1/10 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
What would happen if the original bolt came loose..

And you go over a bump suspension goes up,

bottom wishbones then goes down,but top doesnt

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

rusty nuts

posted on 13/1/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
I dont see how they would pop out as in my mind there is no pulling load on the top wish bone, all the force is going through the bottom wish bone and the top one stops the wheel falling over.

I could be wrong but if i am please explane

If you look at the arrangement on the donor Sierra there is a lug through which the pinch bolt passes that stops the hub turning on the upright and also locks it into position . As the pinch bolt doesn't pass though the mushroom you are just relying on the clamping pressure to hold it in position . If you look at any production car you will find a groove for the pinch bolt to pass through. A secondary locking device makes sense. Just make sure you have the set up right before locking .

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/1/10 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
It is a bit different on a strut car though as all the weight and spring rebound goes through the top mount, where as the mushroom only takes the force of moving the wishbone up and down to match the hub movement. It must be greatly less force.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cubby

posted on 13/1/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I tapped and fitted an allen bolt (button head) . Definately part of my SVA check at Leighton Buzzard.
Bluemoon

posted on 13/1/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cant say the Alan bolt method will work very well as if the main pinch bolt is missing the Alan bolt will loosen as well (as the clamping force provided by the pinch bolt is removed). I think a better method is need.. You could drill a hole the mushroom insert so the alan bolt goes right through, then all is well but it will not allow mushroom to be rotated for adjustment if you have the offset type..

I guess a version of mushroom insert with a channel around the circumference where the Alan bolt goes would be better, you could then use a lock nut on the Alan bolt. The mushroom insert would be captive yet free to rotate.

Dan

[Edited on 13/1/10 by Bluemoon]

RichardK

posted on 13/1/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mine too, was checked at Beverley. Also the inspector wanted to see the bolt actually go into the insert.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locostbuyer83

posted on 13/1/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got 2 sets of mushrooms, one set that you can adjust the offset and one set that just have the hole in the centre, do i need to adjust the offset or should i just stick the straight ones in and play with the others post test?

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.