Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx10r ignition
angliamotorsport

posted on 14/1/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
zx10r ignition

Has anyone managed to bypass the security system without having the red master key for the kawasaki zx10r.
Got the complete harness including the cdi unit, ignition switch with black key but no master.
I thought there may be a simple way to do this without having to have a different cdi unit.

Breaker

posted on 14/1/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angliamotorsport
Has anyone managed to bypass the security system without having the red master key for the kawasaki zx10r.
Got the complete harness including the cdi unit, ignition switch with black key but no master.
I thought there may be a simple way to do this without having to have a different cdi unit.

Oh crap ! End of last year I also bought a 2006 ZX12R engine + full harness & ignition switch. I also only have 1 black key. Does this mean I will not be able to start my engine (without "red" key) once it is fitted ?

Btw, can I make duplicates of the black key or do they have a chip inside ?

dan__wright

posted on 14/1/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
who did you get your engine from?

i got mine from malc at Yorkshire engines and the loom appears to be us spec with no immobiliser

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Flamez

posted on 14/1/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have both red and black keys. fitted the loom and cdi and immob amplifier and I have only ever used the black key.

my build mac1motorsports

angliamotorsport

posted on 14/1/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
zx10r ignition

It would appear from the workshop manual that unless you have the red key it will not start. I may be reading this wrongly, it would'nt be the first time. However I do believe that the us spec cdi will be ok as I don't think it has the security modual.
I have used Trackelectronics before for a harness for a gsxr engine and he did a brilliant job and did tell me at the time that he could supply us spec cdis, all I wanted to do was save a little money and perhaps learn something.

Breaker

posted on 14/1/10 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
I have both red and black keys. fitted the loom and cdi and immob amplifier and I have only ever used the black key.

Good ! I was already worrying I wouldn't be able to start the engine.

About the spare keys: As the loom has an immobiliser and I don't have a spare black key nor the master key (needed to program other black keys), loosing the only black one would be a disaster.

I was thinking: I get some blank keys from eBay and take them to a key cutter to duplicate the black key. Then I stick the original key to the back of my dashboard (so the immobiliser thinks the original key is in the ignition lock) and use the duplicated keys to start the engine. Will this crazy idea work ?

angliamotorsport

posted on 14/1/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
zx10r ignition

Track electronics are selling non security ecus for most japanese bike engines, check it out.
Hope that helps

Andy B

posted on 14/1/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
So long as you have the correct key for the ecu ( as they are matched) and the key reader it should not matter what colour key you have it will run. The red master key is the one that you have to present to a dealer to get a duplicate, if you dont have the red key for god sake dont lose the black one as you will not be able to get a replacement.
As far as ecu's go there are only 2 that run without immobiliser - american or kit race ecu - however it would appear that a chap in poland has found a way to reconfigure keys to ecu's but I dont know how he is doing it
Hope that helps
Andy

Andy W

posted on 14/1/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using an American loom and ECU on mine, only thing needed to run is 100 ohm resistor fitted same as in zx9 wiring

Andy

yorkshire-engines

posted on 14/1/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy at AB is correct the red key is only used for reprogramming new keys
us spec ecu,s are full power so no issues there either
i have also just found out how to re programme immobilised ecu,s and can supply keys to fit blank or cut to lock for £185 so this is a option if you have lost all keys

cheers malc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.