Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy - Gixxer Thou
Mergyr

posted on 22/4/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy - Gixxer Thou

Hi All,

Im new to the list and I intend building an MK Indy, I'm considering using the GSXR1000 engine, since its been the hooligan's choice of bike for so long I guess the engines a cracker hey!

A couple of questions, firstly has anyone else used a this engine? Can you offer any advice?

Will I need to dry sump it? or will baffles and overfilling with oil help? Will too much oil cause the clutch to slip or is this more a problem with certain types of oil?

I guess I will have to chop the sump?

I'm also assuming the adaptor flange by MK will fit between a sierra diff and GSXR gearbox?

Can I use a race-can such as a Micron? Does anyone manufacture the manifold and pipes to link to a Micron? Im guessing I couldnt SVA it with one, but they do look the biz!

If I bought a whole bike (well almost) from a salvage place, only used the prop, steering rack, front hub etc from a donor car (well scrap yard) and bought brakes etc all new, could I register it with the bike Reg? I'm intending using all the looms, electrics, (except hazards and speedo) from the bike, so its pretty much a four wheel Gixxer in my eyes!

One other question does not having a reverse gear cause many problems? Are these electric reverse motors needed?

Thanks,
Steve.

bob

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I cant answer your BEC questions,but i have to admit your avatar has got me BIG time.

I know i shouldnt have stared at it but i did

Mergyr

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
I cant answer your BEC questions,but i have to admit your avatar has got me BIG time.

Nice isnt she?

Steve.

bob

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
VERY

reminds me of mrs bob before it all went south

Mergyr

posted on 22/4/04 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
VERY

reminds me of mrs bob before it all went south

I will pass on your comments to Mrs Mergyr! I wish!

Steve.

timcrasher

posted on 23/4/04 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Gixer 1000

Hi, Steve,
The Gixer 1000 is an amazing engine, but have you thought about how much a good one will cost you. These bike sell for stupid amounts at salvage auctions due to their popularity in bike racing.
Tiger have been using this engine in their BEC's lately and have exhausts with cats and Lambda sensors already developed.
But with my recent experiance of dealing with them, any good exhaust maker would be preferable.
Alot of sidecar racers use the 1000 engine without dry sump systems, but a baffle plate and sump chop would be a good idea for track use etc.
Micron and most other can makers use standard size tubing so you should be able to fit one. Just be careful of the tailpipe though. I saw a car set its rear wheel arch on fire because the can he was using directed the exhuast towards the arch rather than out to the side like most car exhausts!
As regards the registation question, you would need to check with your local registation office.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tim

Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, where in Chesterfield u at ??

Peteff

posted on 23/4/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also assuming the adaptor flange by MK will fit between a sierra diff and GSXR gearbox?
The adaptor flange only allows the fitting of a propshaft between the sprocket output and the diff by replacing the sprocket Steve, you'll need a propshaft to do the connecting.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mergyr

posted on 24/4/04 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Steve, where in Chesterfield u at ??

Hi Jon,

I now live in Clowne, I know I'm not far from MK, I darent go up there yet as I know I'll place an order, with the stuff I need to do to my garage and house first it would not be wise!!

You near Chesterfield?

Steve.

Steve.

Mergyr

posted on 24/4/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff The adaptor flange only allows the fitting of a propshaft between the sprocket output and the diff by replacing the sprocket Steve, you'll need a propshaft to do the connecting.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that, I'm new to this so learning every second! Will the adaptor flange by MK do what I need though?

Steve.

Steve.

Jasper

posted on 24/4/04 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself to the BEC section.....
Peteff

posted on 24/4/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Will the adaptor flange by MK do what I need though?

They will tell you better than I can but my friend had one that fitted a GSXR from them so I would think it will. I'm in Clay Cross, other side of Town from you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

phelpsa

posted on 24/4/04 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know of a place that would chop/baffle my gixer 1100 sump for me?

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 24/4/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Was Bolsover, now Glapwell, u2u me n pop over.

Mergyr

posted on 25/4/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Get yourself to the BEC section.....

Thanks Jasper,

I did put a post in there too, its called "Gixer thou questions".

Cheers.

Steve.

Mergyr

posted on 25/4/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
They will tell you better than I can but my friend had one that fitted a GSXR from them so I would think it will. I'm in Clay Cross, other side of Town from you.

Cheers Pete, trying to keep away as I mentioned before but I dont think I'm going to be able to!

Do you have to live in Chesterfield to get on this list?

Steve.

Mergyr

posted on 25/4/04 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mergyr
Im new to the list and I intend building an MK Indy, I'm considering using the GSXR1000 engine.

Thanks All,

For your replies, it appears that using a Gixer engine maybe too costly and could well be venturing into waters reletively unknown.

To make life easier I think I'll go with the Ninja or Blade engine, unless I come across a Gixer deal to good to miss. I can always flog that one and use the funds and knowledge I've gained to build a Gixer Thou - Indy afterwards!!!

Thanks again,
Steve.

Steve.

alister667

posted on 25/4/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't give up on it that easily. A good mate of mine is building a GSX-R1000 locost based on an MK De-Dion chassis. Mind you this is his 4th car he's building!
The main problem he's having is the height of the engine. As far as I know he's going without any sump baffling or dry sumping. From everything I've heard that is a very very special engine. I'm dying to see his going.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mergyr

posted on 25/4/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
I wouldn't give up on it that easily.

Hi Alister,

This will be my first build, and I do have a budget, so I will have to see what deals I can find when I go for the engine. Doing a little ringing round, Ninja engines are very easy to pick up, cheaply and with very low miles. I have a lot of time to research and decide on the best option and I will build a Gixer Thou - Indy but it might not be my first build as I'd hoped.

We'll see, thanks for your comments.

Steve.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.