Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holiday destination?
richard thomas

posted on 20/2/10 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Holiday destination?

Looking for some recommendations...

Me and my better half both hit the big 40 this year, and I'm looking to book a short break away without the kids...need a bit of pampering.

Can't quite decide on destination though...considered Dubai, Egypt, New York, Rome etc....just can't make up our minds.

Anyone got any marvellous experiences/recommendations for this type of thing?

Rich.

graememk

posted on 20/2/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
may i recomend ?

Cyprus

marcjagman

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not exactly exotic, but, I have been to Ireland and the south of France quite a few times, always enjoyed it and because it's not too far you get more time there.
big-vee-twin

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to visit a big City in America I can highly reccomend San Fransisco, just fantastic - Alcatraz, Largest China town outside China, Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Cars what more can I say.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Jon Ison

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
If you want to visit a big City in America I can highly reccomend San Fransisco, just fantastic - Alcatraz, Largest China town outside China, Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Cars what more can I say.

You got in 1st, pretty much what I was going to post, having traveled the States a fair bit San Fran was the one place when I called home I said the the wife, "we have to come here " we did, perfect break for a couple, if your not afraid of driving over there (no need to be) it will make the break even better.

eznfrank

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
For me it has to be Vegas, I got married there and have been back 3 times in the last 5 or so years, absolutely love the place.

Renew your vows for next to nowt
Grand Canyon
Hire a Viper
Cirque Du Soleil
Gambling, shopping, food, ridiculousness, shows etc etc, the list is enormous, apparently anything's possible in Vegas!!!

britishtrident

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
North of Italy, do the historic cities Verona, Florence, Venice then a week to wind down at either Lake Garda or Lake Como.

The life style, hotels, food, wine, history and scenery are fantastic.

For Lake Garda I can particularly recommend the Hotel Catullo in the historic centre of Sirmione (just down the road from M Schumachers holiday villa) you can book it from the Inghams Lakes and Mountains Brochure.

http://www.hotelcatullo.it/en/home_hotel_catullo_locale_storico.php

I would advise you check out the reviews of any hotel you book on the Tripadvisor web site.

The Catullos Tripadvisor reviews are here
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187842-d314143-Reviews-Hotel_Catullo-Sirmione_Lake_Garda_Lombardy.html

[Edited on 20/2/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bodger

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you just want a couple of days try Dubrovnik. I fly in there quite a bit & it always looks lovely along that coast. It's got a lot of history & is reasonably cheap.
scootz

posted on 20/2/10 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's your 40th, so pamper yourself and head to the Maldives! Just the most fabulous place to relax!

You had Dubai in your list... excellent hotels, but beware that it's still just a HUUUGE building site!

I agree with Britishtrident - the north of Italy is stunning.

Dubrovniks not really for me - I like my coastal hols to have some form of beach or coastline where you can walk by the sea. Dubrovnik has a rocky coastline, but to be fair, the town itself is very nice and the accommodation is very reasonable.

It's Evolution Baby!

speedyxjs

posted on 20/2/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Best place i have ever been is Norway although very expensive.

Other than that, we visit scotland alot

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

stevec

posted on 20/2/10 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
One more for the Italy tour.
Did Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and Naples over a week and a few days in Sorrento doing Pompeii and Vesuvius etc. Flew to Venice travelled by train and then flew home from Naples which worked really well.Brilliant stuff.
Steve.

pewe

posted on 20/2/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Verona every time for me - sorry us!
Fantastic historical city, Nicolis Museum nearby and cheap rail connections for Venice, Brescia (Mille Miglia Museum on the East side of town or go wk1 May and watch them go off mid-week and come back on the Sunday!), Mantova (lakes, food, sights and providing they have re-opened it the Nuvolari Museum) - all day trips.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

BTW Rudy (sometimes on here) lives near Venice).

[Edited on 20/2/10 by pewe]

[Edited on 20/2/10 by pewe]

zilspeed

posted on 20/2/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
We went to the North of Italy several years BC (Before Child.)

Florence was nice, but San Gimignano (pr. San Jiminyano) was especially memorable.

Last year, we spent a long weekend in Carcassonne which was equally memorable. That's a jaw droppingly attractive Medieval City, just like San Gimignano.

I would go back to Carcassonne in a minute.

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/2/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Taormina in Sicily for me, I spent 2 weeks there at Her Majesty's Pleasure (Navy!)

I spend most of my leisure time in Cornwall these days

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

dave1888

posted on 20/2/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dubai every time for me, If you want peace and quiet stay away from the beach front hotels as they are getting busier with families (kids).
Next year though defo going to see North Italy for a change.

RichardK

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just come back from Meeru island on the Maldives, was my forty birthday present. Was very nice indeed.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad4x4

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can recommend Egypt for Gastroemtroisis and Vomiting. Place is filty (whole country) and they like ripping of tourist big style......

Nah i'd go back to the US or go to Canada.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

britishtrident

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Taormina in Sicily for me, I spent 2 weeks there at Her Majesty's Pleasure (Navy!)

I spend most of my leisure time in Cornwall these days

I spent a year in my in my salad days sailing back and forth to Sicily , mainly Augusta and Palermo, when years later when I went to the north of Italy I couldn't believe how different it was from the south.

[Edited on 20/2/10 by britishtrident]

[/I]

fesycresy

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
click me northern boy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

andyw7de

posted on 20/2/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got to be Italy for me

Cattolica just south of Rimini

No british stuff at all, no hassle

just the best, Im going back again this year again

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/2/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dubia is good, but bit like a building site -if you get a top notch hotel with a private beach you wont notice, but if you plan on going out and about its a bit of a dump whilst the building work is going on. I was there 4 years ago and it was bad then - might be better now.

As has been said, Lake Como is beautiful - as are the rest of the italian lakes. I can recommend the Grand Tremezzo hotel.

http://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/

v special

deltron63

posted on 20/2/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
i spent my 40th in Las Vegas, the best place on the planet
scudderfish

posted on 20/2/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
i'm currently sat in a bar on the beach in St Lucia which is very nice. Maldives is nicer though, and you can do it with a few days in Dubai on the way there
franky

posted on 20/2/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dubai..... building site, nothing special at all about the place

Egypt... Great until they opened it up to tourists. Think Chavy spain with pyramids.

San Fran... great place to go, 2 days in vegas, drive to san fran for a decent break... fly home from there. Great week.

Any of the great lakes in Italy are nice, quite expensive but well worth it. Had good times there when in the RN too.

I'd also say think of Washington DC, Great city and only an hours drive to national parks/skyline drive.

All IMO

britishtrident

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Dubia is good, but bit like a building site -if you get a top notch hotel with a private beach you wont notice, but if you plan on going out and about its a bit of a dump whilst the building work is going on. I was there 4 years ago and it was bad then - might be better now.

As has been said, Lake Como is beautiful - as are the rest of the italian lakes. I can recommend the Grand Tremezzo hotel.

http://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/

v special

These grand Austrian style grand hotels in the north of Italy are bit like 1930s Cunard liners, truly something to behold, the Italians really know how to run a Hotel with style and drama. I could just imagine being chauffeur driven up to one in a 1930s Isotta Fraschini.

Go a few miles south to the southern end of Lake Garda and the hotels become smaller and more relaxed, more Italian often run by the same family for generations.

[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.