Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how much for pointing work?
smart51

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
how much for pointing work?

I've got some builders in at the moment and they've spotted that a bit of wall I have has been got by the recent frost and needs repointing. It's about 2.5 m by 2.5 m and they reckon it'll take two of them two days and will cost 350 quid. are they taking the mick?

MakeEverything

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
ant you Locost it and do it yourself?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

austin man

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I would reckon a days work at most for 2 guys.

Materila outlay would be around a tenner messiest part of the job is racking out and the
at can be done quick with a grinder tell them £250 and see what they come back with, after all it is a buyers market

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

iain b

posted on 6/3/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
up here in leeds i charge around 40 to 45 a msq so price not to great so i would try and knock them down a little
smart51

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad its not just me then. One the one side, the mortar is falling out on its own. Most of it will come out with just your fingers. it shouldn't take too long to get the rest out with a grinder. I've no problem with their daily rate - I'm more than willing to pay a man to do his job. I was thinking that 4 man days is a bit much for a little wall.

For the cost of a disc for the big grinder, I'll cut out the old stuff myself. How deep should I go? 20mm?

Peteff

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I cut a tree down in the garden and took about 6 feet of wall with it as well . I'd hate to think what they'd charge to rebuild that if is what they want for a bit of pointing. What kind of wall is it ? I do all my own brickwork and plastering jobs as it's something I enjoy and I'm a tight b@stard, trowels cost about £1.99 for a pointing trowel round here and sand is about the same for a bag. Cement is £5 ish and you probably already have a bucket. 20mm is plenty deep enough, a 115mm angle grinder is easiest but if it's that bad it might just scrape out with a chisel.

[Edited on 6/3/10 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

designer

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
DIY.

Grind out the old mortar 15mm deep and point it yourself, finish off with an bit of old hose pipe.

It's theraputic, and think what you can get for the money you save.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr T

posted on 6/3/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I've got some builders in at the moment and they've spotted that a bit of wall I have has been got by the recent frost and needs repointing. It's about 2.5 m by 2.5 m and they reckon it'll take two of them two days and will cost 350 quid. are they taking the mick?

Taking the piss

10sqm to hack out and re-point one man one day if its coursed stone, if its brick it needs grinding out and will take longer, if its random stone it will take the same as brick depending on size of stone, £ 200

SteveWalker

posted on 6/3/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr T
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

Taking the piss

10sqm to hack out and re-point one man one day if its coursed stone, if its brick it needs grinding out and will take longer, if its random stone it will take the same as brick depending on size of stone, £ 200

That's cheaper than we paid, but not way out - £850 for around 30m2. We did not go for the cheapest, as we have bricks with a rough surface and poor pointing gets into them and looks awful ... as our next door neighbours found out!

Peteff

posted on 7/3/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't want a trowel finish I used to use a piece of copper pipe to rub over the joint but now I've gone all high tech and found a piece of bucket handle just the right size for my brickwork. Let it go off for an hour then rub it over to compact the surface and rub the loose off. Have a go you might discover a new talent.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.