Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loss of neutral gear
Major Stare

posted on 15/5/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Loss of neutral gear

I have fitted a paddle shift with cable.

Test dirve today, started car, pulled for first gear and drove off, then second. Seemed fine.
Got to junction at end of road and i couldnt find neutral
Tried everything and gave up, managed to find 1st and drove home.

Is it a case of fine tuning?
If so how?

Jon "FISH"

doddy

posted on 15/5/10 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
cant say for cars but on bike somtimes it happens and you just need to adjust the gear lever position a little as neutral it like a half gear change so it need to be spot on other wise it just goes to secound
ReMan

posted on 15/5/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I can't imagine there is anything to tune?
Getting neutral is amore about technique.
Try to hook it before you come to a complete stop.
Most of the time best not to use it, it just wastes fuel

Major Stare

posted on 16/5/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I need to check everything over during the week because i spent 10mins rocking the car on the drive so i could push it into the garage... neutral was non existant ??? :arse:

When i select a gear, could i be pushing too far and skipping between 1st and 2nd?

Jon "FISH"

40inches

posted on 16/5/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
You just need a light prod to get it to fall out of gear and into neutral, how much throw have you got on the lever? too short will make it difficult to feel, try taking gear knob off and slipping a short length of tube over stick to extend it about 3 inches and see if it feels better
B*m! that will teach me to read the OP post carefully but the theory is the same, just the execution that is different, may just be down to leverages and lever throw.

[Edited on 16-5-10 by 40inches]

Peteff

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
On my bike I always have to go down into first to come back up into neutral, it will not go in from second gear and needs a light touch to get it not a proper lift.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

progers

posted on 17/5/10 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly, you have recently fitted a barnett clutch conversion with heavy duty springs.

You might find that, even with your clutch fully disengaged, there is some "drag" between the steels and friction plates of the clutch. This may be caused by not having quite enough travel on the clutch to fully release the clutch (Be careful not to overpull the clutch). If thats not the case, its just a learning curve on how to best find neutral. I find it better to go down to 1 and then use both hands on the paddle shift to "nudge"the gear into neutral. sometime a blip on the throttle helps.

Cheers

Paul

s2gse

posted on 21/5/10 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
loss of neutral gear

i had the same with mine wouldnt go into neutral with the engine running but fine went the engine was off on the GSXR found i needed to ajust the clutch cable a bit more there was to much play

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.