Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: CHECK YOUR FUEL HOSES (please!)
Guinness

posted on 6/6/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
CHECK YOUR FUEL HOSES (please!)

Recently my car has been smelling pretty strongly of petrol when standing, and when I brimmed the tank in Scotland I had a small amount of fuel leak out of somewhere.

Took the decision to drive home, but not brim the tank again!

Have investigated this afternoon, and the hose between the filler neck and the tank has completely perished and split wide open, in several places.

This hose has been on the car since the original build, and is hidden between the boot box and the top of the tank so until now has been impossible to check......

I'm pretty certain the hose was proper fuel hose, but so long after the build I have no recollection of who I got it from.

So, please, fellow locosters, check your fuel hoses.

(This isn't the first time this has happened to me:- http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=110754 )

So, does anyone have 3" of 2" diameter fuel hose spare????

Cheers

Mike

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/6/10 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I may have some, will tell you tomorrow...

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/6/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed,

Mine split a few weeks ago. It was the thick stuff which you can see that it is "wrapped" during the manufacturing process. It split where a jubilee clip had cut into it slightly, but other areas were also visibly degrading.

Mine was from Rallydesign (25p / inch) stuff and had only been in a couple of years. Maybe it was a dodgy batch.

I replaced it with stuff from Merlin which is a different design altogether so hopefully this will perform better.

Matt

Guinness

posted on 8/6/10 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
UPDATED with photos

Updated with photos. As you can see there are no markings on the hose, but it was sold to me as proper stuff. It's also about 8mm thick, but appears to have turned / degraded into some sort of crystaline structure.

Weirdly the two bits under the jubilee clips are still perfectly flexible and as new. So I think it's outside in, rather than inside out?

Mike

Hose 1
Hose 1

Hose 2
Hose 2

Hose 3
Hose 3

Hose 4
Hose 4

Hose 5
Hose 5

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.