Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top air con condeser replacement...?
nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top air con condeser replacement...?

Seat Alhambra 2001

How big of a job/how difficult is it to replace the air con condenser on the above...?

Garage quoting £490 + VAT to replace and re-gas (after regassing for £50 but failing to detect the leak!)

Condenser is readily available from GSF or Euro Car Parts for ~ £110 inc. VAT.

MikeR

posted on 14/7/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
from experience - buy from GSF, not ECP.
nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mine too
BenB

posted on 14/7/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Only issue is if you just unplug the old one you'll inevitably leak coolant out into the atmosphere which is punishable by crazily high fines and (probably) public flogging.
jossey

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
i prefer ECP's to be honest. GSF seem to be expensive at the moment. especially for BMW stuff.

ive never had issues taking stuff back so im happy.

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonesier1

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
from memory if they are the same as galaxy,its headlight bumper off and front panel moved foward,although you can cheat and cut some plastic from the inner front panel to get it out but bumper and lights still need to be removed.
Anybody working on an aircon system now has to be certificated and a 5k fine is possible if caught.

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Only issue is if you just unplug the old one you'll inevitably leak coolant out into the atmosphere which is punishable by crazily high fines and (probably) public flogging.

Very true, but having had the system leak tested and regassed only to find there was in fact a leak, 99% of the gas has already leaked out into the atmosphere. I'm really not worried over losing the last 1% when replacing the condenser unit

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jonesier1
from memory if they are the same as galaxy,its headlight bumper off and front panel moved foward,although you can cheat and cut some plastic from the inner front panel to get it out but bumper and lights still need to be removed.
Anybody working on an aircon system now has to be certificated and a 5k fine is possible if caught.

I thought that would be the case re: bumber and front panel - too time consuming for me to take on myself right now.

I didn't know you had to be certified so that's worth being aware of.

prawnabie

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would replace the receiver/drier if the sstem has been exposed to atmosphere for any length of time too.
ShaunB

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I can't comment on a Seat Alhambra, but there's nothing overly difficult in replacing an air-con condensor - it's just a radiator with screw on connections. If it's leaking such that the aircon doesn't work anymore there's unlikely to be much pressure left in the system.

The issue will be what you have to remove to get access to it. I replaced the one on my wife's Impreza last year, had to move the PAS cooler out of way, drain the coolant and remove that radiator before I could even see the condensor. 5 mins later and the new one was fitted.

Shaun.

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
I would replace the receiver/drier if the sstem has been exposed to atmosphere for any length of time too.

Reading up on it the drier si an integral part of the condenser unit so gets replaced by default.

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShaunB
I can't comment on a Seat Alhambra, but there's nothing overly difficult in replacing an air-con condensor - it's just a radiator with screw on connections. If it's leaking such that the aircon doesn't work anymore there's unlikely to be much pressure left in the system.

The issue will be what you have to remove to get access to it. I replaced the one on my wife's Impreza last year, had to move the PAS cooler out of way, drain the coolant and remove that radiator before I could even see the condensor. 5 mins later and the new one was fitted.

Shaun.

That's my problem, we're off to France in it for 2 weeks on Sunday and I don't have the time to spend pulling the car apart to get to it

l0rd

posted on 14/7/10 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by ShaunB

Shaun.

That's my problem, we're off to France in it for 2 weeks on Sunday and I don't have the time to spend pulling the car apart to get to it

Do the windows work?

No need for AC.

adithorp

posted on 14/7/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be surprised by high prices for re-gassing the system. The new reg's mean everyone working on them has to go on new courses at around £300 each and the gas has tripled in price over just a few weeks.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Take it to a bodyshop, they will have far more experience in front ends and the labour rate will be MUCH cheaper

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

nick205

posted on 14/7/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Take it to a bodyshop, they will have far more experience in front ends and the labour rate will be MUCH cheaper

Good tip Mark.

I've actually sourced the part from GSF Car Parts for £130 and just have 2.5hrs labour @ £55/hr to cover. The re-gas is free as they missed the leak first time around.

Not so bad, but eats into the holiday vino fund a little hard

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.