Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake pad recommendation
bassett

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pad recommendation

Hi, i was all set to upgrade my powerlite caliper pads from the rather crap and wooden feeling smart pads to the mintex 1144s which seem to have good or atleast better reviews. However the new wilwood poly matrix or poly pads had been suggested as better than the 1144's. Any other opinions and which are the ones to go for the Race(polyA), Fast road ceraminc (Poly Q),Fast road/light rally(polyE). Car is used for fast road but also planning some track day abuse.
Thanks
Adam

[Edited on 3/12/10 by bassett]

[Edited on 3/12/10 by bassett]

ashg

posted on 3/12/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
i had smart pads then tried mintex 1144 now have yellow stuff.

smarts were quite simply put poo both the 10's and the 20's. mintex had fantastic bite and got better and better as they warmed up until they overheated and faded (never overheated on the road only managed it on track).

yellow stuff are a little bit wooden when totally cold but have took every bit of abuse i can throw at them with out fading. totally ok for town driving but the feel is just not quite as good as the mintex at lower temps although perfectly liveable.

for road use and the odd airfield/sprint mintex all the way, yellow stuff for track tools and silly high hp cars. i found the mintex 1144's had a tendency to sequel on light breaking which got annoying around town.

was thinking about trying the next compound up from the 1144's think its 1155's but having spent £170ish on pads alone i thought i had better stop

[Edited on 3/12/2010 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

RazMan

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Like you, I started with Smart Pads in my Powerlites and found them so scary I quickly changed to Mintex 1144's and I haven't looked back since. I have often wondered about the Poly variations but tbh the Mintex are so good I haven't got the courage to swap.

p.s. I found some 3M anti squeal backing pads did a good job of quietening them down.

[Edited on 3-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Yellowstuff opinions. As abuse taking goes, they really do soak it up better than any other pad I have used.

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 3/12/10 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Yellowstuff opinions. As abuse taking goes, they really do soak it up better than any other pad I have used.

(Greenstuff, Redstuff, Mintex 1144, Pagid)

[Edited on 3/12/10 by Rocket_Rabbit]

whitestu

posted on 4/12/10 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've also got yellowstuff and am very pleased with them.
ashg

posted on 4/12/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

p.s. I found some 3M anti squeal backing pads did a good job of quietening them down.

tried those and the mintex ones neither stopped it

[Edited on 4/12/2010 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

bassett

posted on 4/12/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, hadn't looked into the yellow stuff pads, any ideas who stocks them for the powerlites?

I might give the 1144's a go first as although i want to use it on the track its going to be 97-99% on the road.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

greenwood03

posted on 4/12/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
adam, there's a deal on ebc pads via the members link on the skcc site! very helpful, very knowledgeable.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

amalyos

posted on 4/12/10 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I used the Mintex pads on my MNR, they were great. had the same set for 4 years, including around 8 trackdays.
Would recommend them.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.