Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Japan earthquake - scary statistics...
David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Japan earthquake - scary statistics...

Apart from the horrendous videos and pictures, I've just read this bit of info...

The US Geological Survey is reporting that the coast of Japan has shifted 8 feet (2.4m) because of the earthquake in Japan. The Earth's axis has reportedly been shifted 10 inches too.

That's just scary!

(I have a nephew in Tokyo, with Japanese wife and child - awaiting news from my brother... )

JoelP

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
scary stuff- just heard it was 8000 times stronger than the one last month in new zealand.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

johny p

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Apart from the horrendous videos and pictures, I've just read this bit of info...

The US Geological Survey is reporting that the coast of Japan has shifted 8 feet (2.4m) because of the earthquake in Japan. The Earth's axis has reportedly been shifted 10 inches too.

That's just scary!

(I have a nephew in Tokyo, with Japanese wife and child - awaiting news from my brother... )
hope everything ok for you mate......

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Scarily unbelievable footage of the tsunami coming inland.

I hope you get you good news soon.

pauldm28

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mayybe I'm just a geek but I often go on this site even when theres no earthquake news- fascinating stuff.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

David J. - I'm wishing good news for you.

rgrs

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I am watching very avidly with a lot of aprehension at the moment as I'm due to work in Tokyo next month, the amount of devastation is truly shocking.

Roger

Humbug

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
My son is studying in Tokyo at the moment (from September last year to June this year). SWMBO and I are on holiday in Japan to coincide with his 21st birthday last week but are currently on a tour in the west of the country. We got a text from him to say there had been a HUGE earthquake but we couldn't get back to him because the mobile networks were down. We eventually managed to skype him when we got to our hotel and thankfully he is OK - apparently he had been woken up by the quake (at 14:46!) because he had been out at an all night party until 7am...

Not sure what is supposed to happen to the rest of our tour, but will contact the travel company.

Simon

welderman

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
My mum is going there in two weeks with her friend. Her sister was on a train when the quake struck luckily it did not derail. The rest of our family live in Osaka down the coast and a bit higher up.
Mum can't wait to go now.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

skodaman

posted on 12/3/11 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
I lived there for two years and apparently Tokyo's been expecting a massive earthquake for years and already has in place plans to rebuild as fast as possible. You get used to earthquakes there but there's always the lingering thought that if there's a big one you can't do much about it. Try riding a motorbike during an earthquake of just a few seconds. It feels very much like a blowout on the back tyre.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
norfolkluego

posted on 12/3/11 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
My son is studying in Tokyo at the moment (from September last year to June this year). SWMBO and I are on holiday in Japan to coincide with his 21st birthday last week but are currently on a tour in the west of the country. We got a text from him to say there had been a HUGE earthquake but we couldn't get back to him because the mobile networks were down. We eventually managed to skype him when we got to our hotel and thankfully he is OK - apparently he had been woken up by the quake (at 14:46!) because he had been out at an all night party until 7am...

Not sure what is supposed to happen to the rest of our tour, but will contact the travel company.

Simon

Really glad he's OK but love the bit where the earthquake WOKE him at quarter to three in the afternoon, oh to have those days back again.
You should be OK to go out there from what I understand, Tokyo hasn't suffered too badly, it would have flattened any other city in the world bar Tokyo but they build 'em strong out there

steve m

posted on 12/3/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
The whole area looks a very sorry state, but the Japenese are a very good at dealing with these problems, they even sent earthquake teams to Christchurch, now on there way home!

I have spent about 4 weeks in Japan, and it is/was my favorite place to go

Steve

Chippychap

posted on 12/3/11 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I think our prayers are with anyone here with family/friends involved.

The pictures of the tsunami were horrific. Cars boats and buildings flung about like toys.

Bearing in mind that some of these cars boats and buildings have people in 'em.

Certainly makes my moaning about petty stuff seem pretty pathetic.

VEGETARIAN
OLD APACHE WORD MEANING "BAD HUNTER"

bi22le

posted on 12/3/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pauldm28
Mayybe I'm just a geek but I often go on this site even when theres no earthquake news- fascinating stuff.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

David J. - I'm wishing good news for you.

I hope this website is not live. It says that there has been several earthquakes TODAY (could be within 24 hours but still wrong) of Mag 8 right on Japan. Also one of mag 6 north of NZ. I have not watched the news today but I really hope they have not had another large one.

Best of luck to all. Lets hope natural disasters put our petty religion wars to rest and unite this planet as we should be in such a modern sophisticated world.

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 12/3/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Heard a little while ago that my nephew, wife and son are all OK - they live south of Tokyo and only got the fringe of the quake. Stuff rattled around but no damage.

Family much relieved!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.