Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: modifing cobra seats
scutter

posted on 8/7/04 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
modifing cobra seats

Basically I was tight then I brought the roadster seven seats for my car, and didn't get the one with harness slots in the top.

The question is this, Can I retro fit the holes with out making it look like a dogs dinner?

seats without holes
seats without holes

All the best Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 8/7/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
You tight arsed git.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

wicket

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I need to do mine as well. Just phoned Cobra, parts are available from them at £5.40/seat + vat & £3 +vat p&p/order, fittings instructions will be supplied.

Cobra Supaform Limited
Units D1 and D2
Halesfield 23
Telford
TF7 4NY, England

Tel: +44 (0) 1952 684020
Fax: +44 (0) 1952 581772

spunky

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Gonna be tricky

Wot I wud doo....

Decide where you want your holes and what size/shape. Mark out on back of seat. Dont know if the backs are vinyl covered, if they are cut the vinyl in an X or Y but dont remove any. Dig down to the seat carcass and cut out your hole without breaking through the front. Tidy your holes then decide on the best way to cut the front vinyl so it can be pulled and stretched through the hole to the back to make a tidy job, some padding may need cutting out round the edge of the hole. If vinyl is at the back it could be pushed through the front before pulling front vinyl back (eh!) you know what I meant.
finish the hole with some ubber U-section from Woolies. (trim supplies not Woolworths)

John

PS- You tight arsed git

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

paulbeyer

posted on 8/7/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Gentlemen (and tight arsed gits ) take a look at my photo archive. There are some pictures of a Cobra seat that has been stripped. You can see the frame work that held the original harness slots in place. You will also see a picture of some new harness slots I bought from Cobra. I should imagine your seats have the framework in place to house the slots, if so then it is a simple case of cutting the vinyl and pressing the slots into place, but it's worth checking before hand.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

scutter

posted on 8/7/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Paul in a phrase ""

Cheers gents (including Paul).

Will drop Cobra a line now. and by the way it was an expensive day as it was with buying two seats, runners and harness that I couldn't justify the extra £40.

All the best Dan.

P.s. Paul I'll get you back at Donnington

[Edited on 8/7/04 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spunky

posted on 8/7/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Good post Paul.
I, very wrongly, assumed there would be a seat shaped carcass under the padding. Not just a frame
Logged for future reference...

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

wicket

posted on 8/7/04 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dan
If you need the harness slots bit quickly, give a phone and they will put them in the post today.

Eric

scutter

posted on 8/7/04 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Eric,

No rush for me as cars still in Norfolk. Top information by the way thanks, as I was worrying as the harnesses I have turn out by about 50 deg when the seats fitted.

All the best Dan.

paulbeyer

posted on 8/7/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Paul in a phrase ""

Cheers gents (including Paul).

Paul I'll get you back at Donnington

Scutter I look forward to seeing you there. Shame the same can't be said about your pink tent.

Hornet

posted on 9/7/04 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Gents.. I bought my cobras about 5 weeks ago, they were wrongly delivered without the harness holes (mistake by middleman) cobra said they could send me the stuff to do myself... very easy to do, but if they were to fit them it would cost £17.50... i had already paid so.. middleman got them done at cobra for me... so looks like £17.50 for the pros to do it.... sup to u

[Edited on 9/7/04 by Hornet]

scutter

posted on 9/7/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Being a tight git, I'll do it myself.

Must check the pink tent for holes, it'll be there along with the BBQ and beer bag.

All the best Dan.

madforfishing

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
Gentlemen (and tight arsed gits ) take a look at my photo archive. There are some pictures of a Cobra seat that has been stripped. You can see the frame work that held the original harness slots in place. You will also see a picture of some new harness slots I bought from Cobra. I should imagine your seats have the framework in place to house the slots, if so then it is a simple case of cutting the vinyl and pressing the slots into place, but it's worth checking before hand.

Paul, I have chance of a single Cobra seat for free. Did you modify the Cobra seat frames' width at all or did you just add the harness slots. The seat I have chance of is just TOO wide for my chassis, but I like a challenge. Is it do-able do you think, I don't want to wreck it.

paulbeyer

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have Hicosts old Cobra seats which are too wide for my chassis so I decided to strip them, make them narrower then re upholster them. They had square harness slots already but the only way to get them out was to break them as they were glued together. I bought new oval shaped slots from Cobra. One seat has been stripped as you can see in my archive and had some metal cut out ready for welding but the other hasn't been touched yet. However as I am now venturing out with F1camera.com I have decided to buy a pair of Cobra 7's as my car is to become a demonstrator for my business and I want it to look as good as possible and I might not be able to achieve that with home made seats.

Anyone want a Cobra seat and a half and harness slots that are now surplus to requirements?

[Edited on 14/7/2004 by paulbeyer]

scutter

posted on 15/7/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great, Got my harness slot from Cobra today, great service can't complain about that. but they came with no fitting instructions. Sent an Email off to cobra and got this reply

" You shouldn't really have been sold these parts to retro fit to R7 seats as it's a very difficult job that can go horribly wrong so easily!

We don't offer fitting instructions as we don't think it's something people should attempt themselves. I'm sorry to appear awkward about it but I'd hate for you to wreck the seats trying."

Just thought I'd let you all know.

All the best Dan.

P.S. they have offered to assist in the retro fitting of the slots so can't complain as they are doing there best to help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.