Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know anything about BMX's? - Sons first BMX
MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know anything about BMX's? - Sons first BMX

My 11 year old son wants a BMX for his birthday but i know nothing about them. There is a skate/BMX park in our town and he wants to start jumping (and probably breaking bones) and messing around up there on something more suitable than his 3 ton MTB. I dont want to spend a fortune, but i don't want to buy him a pile of poo that going to break the first time he falls off a ramp or something thats so heavy he cant pick the damn thing up (like his MTB). From what i have read, one size fits all for BMX's, i.e. he would have an adult one, is this correct?? What makes/model should i be looking for and where from???

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
if he wants to do the jumps, and maybe even start all sorts of other tricks (wish i had when i was his age, no way i could now...) then make sure its got the proper front brakes that allow the handle bars to spin round without brake cables getting tangled. its like 2 rings that spin round each other between the frame and forks, cable pulls the top ring, and the top ring pulls the bottom ring, and the bottom ring pulls the cable to the front brakes

hth

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

SeaBass

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
WeThePeople Arcade 2011 if he's going to get serious about it - around £300.

BMX is 20" wheels but you can get 16" and 18" for maggots. Depends how big and 11 year old he is.

Used to love my BMX but at 31 you look a bit daft.

[Edited on 29/3/11 by SeaBass]

johnay

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes as above get him a We The People BMX (he will want to take the brakes off any way)
MK9R

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for info. £300 is a bit much (he's been a naughty lad ). Was looking at some opening spec diamond backs and Haros for the £150 mark.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/3/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Buy 2nd hand. You'll get a quality bike for loads less.

eBay

Custom bmx

iank

posted on 29/3/11 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Buy 2nd hand. You'll get a quality bike for loads less.

eBay

Custom bmx

and he'll get more kudos if it doesn't look too shiny and new.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

posted on 29/3/11 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
You need to find him a mid-80's GT Pro Performer... in lilac! I loved that bike!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 29/3/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
You need to find him a mid-80's GT Pro Performer... in lilac! I loved that bike!

this one?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guav/388357016/

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

scootz

posted on 29/3/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

this one?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guav/388357016/

Oh, yes!

It's Evolution Baby!

tony-devon

posted on 29/3/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
oh that'll do nicely

hey dont worry about being 31 mate!

Im 35 and regularly showing the lil groms at the park how to skate LOL

used to ride ramp on BMX too, but my mate and his brother were pro sponsored riders so even tho I was good, I still got shown up big time LOL

I would certainly agree with buying something second hand, going to get better components for your money, and after a couple of sessions the new bike will look just like the old one!

I still got 2 GT's, an old Haro and a diamond back, LOL cant ride them anymore, just lost my bottle with bikes, too many sticky out bits to injure myself with, one of the haros has my first ever bike mod on it, a welded on crank protection bar to stop me sawing thru chains on kerbs and coping

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.