Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham R300 vs. Nurburgring
beagley

posted on 21/6/11 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham R300 vs. Nurburgring

Just saw this last night and wow......

There's nothing like watching the front suspension of a 7 working hard, kinda mesmerizes (sp?) you.

YouTube Link

Apologies if this has been posted before, and if it has its probably worth another look.

Beags

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

bob tatt

posted on 21/6/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
EPIC HES GOT BIGGER BALLS AND MORE TALENT THAN I WILL EVER HAVE.
nearly collects that puma that wasnt watching his mirrors though..

flibble

posted on 21/6/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Always love watching those!
If you havn't seen Sorens2(?) vids of the ring (he's a member on here), they're well worth watching, he doesn't hold back either!

Johneturbo

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive driving, you have to be very commited with the blind corners
did i see 2g around the carousel <spelling

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
The car's obviously geared for 125mph - you can hear the engine bouncing off the rev limiter on the long straights!

I was impressed by his cornering - if you watch the wheel in the bottom-right corner, once he sets the steering for a corner he rarely has to change it until he's finished. No sudden corrections, etc.

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/6/11 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
wow.

I think he has done that before!

beagley

posted on 21/6/11 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
We need to get some of you guys with those turbo-busa and supercharged duratecs out there. I do agree that on the straights it sounds like he had purposefully limited it in top gear so there wasn't a bomb under the bonnet. I too also really liked the telemetry data that was provided, I love getting to see that while rounding a circuit.

Thats one thing that has always puzzled me regarding the engine size. According to Caterham's website the R300 Superlight uses a 175hp Duratec. There are quite a few more powerful Duratecs floating around (flakmonkey and his 290hp monstrosity immediately springs to mind) and I would think that another 100+ hp on top of the 175 would increase the top speed by a fairly significant amount..... toooooo say 150ish..... ????? Am I way off on thinking that?

I know and understand that the 7 isn't intended for flat out speed but I guess it really depends on the circuit thats being driven.

Beags

[Edit] I did a bit further reading on the Caterham site and they state the top speed of the R300 as 140 so that kinda answers my question. Definitely governed I would say. [/Edit]

[Edited on 6/21/2011 by beagley]

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Ninehigh

posted on 21/6/11 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I like the way no-one else appears to be able to give that car/driver any trouble.

Do you get told there "If anyone comes bearing down upon you let them past" because most cars just gave him a wide berth

McLannahan

posted on 21/6/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's a damned impressive lap that! I'm sure with that 5 series and Puma out of the way he'd have done even better! Really impressive, puts my laps to shame!

jeffw

posted on 21/6/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I like the way no-one else appears to be able to give that car/driver any trouble.

Do you get told there "If anyone comes bearing down upon you let them past" because most cars just gave him a wide berth

Not really. You are only allowed to overtake on the left and unless you are overtaking you must keep to the right of the circuit (not always easy to do). He actually takes a lot of liberties really but it was well driven. It is interesting that he was only doing 117MPH flat chat up the hill from Adenau through the Lauda Curves, my Phoenix does around the 130 mark there and the RS4 was over 150MPH

Peak lateral G was around the 1.3 mark which is about right for R888 or A048R. The 2G reading in the Karussell will be due to the banking. It is interesting that there where 2 cars at Mini-Karussell being recovered, it always seemed to be the corner people crash on, normally to the inside barrier on the exit because they loose the backend.

Anyway, good lap

[Edited on 21/6/11 by jeffw]

dhutch

posted on 23/6/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cracking to watch, i wouldnt want to drive it that fast, or necessarily even passenger, but from this distance its cracking work. People do move out the way very well, i know I was. Its just the bikes you have to watch as they usally appear from nowhere mid bend!
loggyboy

posted on 23/6/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beagley
Thats one thing that has always puzzled me regarding the engine size. According to Caterham's website the R300 Superlight uses a 175hp Duratec. There are quite a few more powerful Duratecs floating around (flakmonkey and his 290hp monstrosity immediately springs to mind) and I would think that another 100+ hp on top of the 175 would increase the top speed by a fairly significant amount..... toooooo say 150ish..... ????? Am I way off on thinking that?

The R300 is the base 'superlight' thats why it only has 175, they squeeze 263hp out of the duratec in the R500. Even that has a 'quoted' top speed of 150mph.
You wont get much more out of a '7' due to aero.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.