Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BRAKE SERVO and QUICK RACK
dibble10

posted on 22/6/11 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
BRAKE SERVO and QUICK RACK

Hi all

As per my previous post, i've recently purchased a bike engined 7 style car, a good base car, at reasonable price, with a view to tweaking it, and making it very nice!

At the minute it has a 893cc Fireblade engine in, running approx 140bhp, however, I'm looking to install (if possible) a zzr1400 engine, more power, more torque, more predictable, less snappy (thats the idea anyway),

HOWEVER

I was always taught as a lad that its ok going fast, but you will need to stop, and the more power you have = the better brakes you need!!!

The car is fitted with Wilwood 4 pistone calipers all round, which are like new, decent size discs, new pads, braided hoses etc, but as I believe with many of the BEC's, there is no servo on teh brakes, my question is:

Is it possible to fit a servo for the brakes to a bike engined car, given that (I am lead to believe) there is a need for the servo to be hooked up to a vacuum pump in order for it to work???

I may be a million miles away, and stand (very happily) corrected if I am, however, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

NEXT QUESTION:

How easy is it to fit a quick rack - i've seen a couple of posts mentioning this, and have priced the quick rack from rally design:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=13516

However, when people talk about modifying them - are we talking huge issues or a simple cut and stick??? And are there any additional parts I should be accounting for?

Many thanks again

Simon

893cc Blade Engined 7 style.......thinking of ZZR1400 transplant???

Davey D

posted on 22/6/11 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
i thought it was the case that a servo wont give you more braking power, it just gives a lighter pedal?

i have Wilwood Powerlite (4 pot caliper) kit on mine with a 265mm solid disc, and there is plenty of braking power. would be even better if i swapped to some mintex 1144 pads.

i have separate front/rear master cylinders on mine.

i dont think there is any need to upgrade what youve already got on a BEC even for the quicker zzr1400

mookaloid

posted on 22/6/11 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
There would be enough braking power with the standard ford brakes for even a ZZR 1400 - bearing in mind that the standard brakes are designed to brake a car which probably weighs more than twice the weight of your car.

So the Wilwoods should be even better.

If you can lock up the brakes then you have enough braking. Servos are for people with a lack of leg muscle and do nothing to help the car stop quicker

If the rack is standard then it should just be a question of stripping the old rack down and replacing the rack and pinion with the new ones.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

HowardB

posted on 22/6/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
based on my recent experience, it's not the brakes that are the issue, it is the tyres.

Perceived wisdom is that kit car tyres (on the road) don't wear out too much, what they do is age, and stop being sticky! Fit new tyres every three to four years and they will remain sticky.

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

StrikerChris

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ How do you get 3-4 years out of your tyres?!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
karlak

posted on 22/6/11 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Rack,

I think most racks are " shortened " to make them fit.

I just recently sent mine to http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/ who rebuilt my standard rack with a quick ratio one.

Great friendly service - very pleased
May be worth giving them a call and see what they can do for you?

[Edited on 22/6/11 by karlak]

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

ashg

posted on 22/6/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
based on my recent experience, it's not the brakes that are the issue, it is the tyres.

Perceived wisdom is that kit car tyres (on the road) don't wear out too much, what they do is age, and stop being sticky! Fit new tyres every three to four years and they will remain sticky.

hth

crumbs 3-4 years! i change mine every year if they last that long. but then again i am a hooligan.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dibble10

posted on 22/6/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers peeps - I'll check out the 'locking up' theory in practice and see how i go, failing this, I may look at a better pedal box, as it appears the one thats in may be home made, and (correct me if i'm wrong) dependant on how well thought out, there may be less leverage on the pedals = less braking power, or maybe?? the master cylinders arent so good? Theyre not spongy so dont think its to do with them needing bled???

I'll call Mac1, I believe they have done some work on the car in the past so may be 1 step ahead.

The tyres are new, so dont think they should be causing any issues! I have to say i love the 3 - 4 year theory, i'm lucky if i get 3k miles out the rear tyres on my day to day car!

Thanks again

893cc Blade Engined 7 style.......thinking of ZZR1400 transplant???

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.