Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sizing Up
psylsph

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sizing Up

I've current got a book locost and find the cockpit a bit tight. Not so much the width as length. Most companies now seem to do a +4 width chassis. Anybody got any thoughts / experience on making a +4 width and +4 length (cockpit only) from plans. Perhaps adjusting the GTS plans.
As above I really only want the +4 in the cockpit sections of the chassis hopefully making suspension mounting etc, easier.

Stuart

David Jenkins

posted on 27/7/04 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Stuart,

Have a look at Jim McSorley's site here

You'll find accurate drawings (unlike the book!) plus all sorts of variations. Not exactly what you want, but if you simply add 4" to all the cockpit length dimensions you should be fine.

happy building...

David

[Edited on 27/7/04 by David Jenkins]

MustangSix

posted on 27/7/04 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that only half of you is legs! Adding 4" to the length might be enough to accomodate a fellow over 8" taller than normal!

Actually, to me the tightest part about squeezing into a Locost is getting around the steering wheel and the interference between knees and wheel, especially on the left leg. I'm just at 6' tall and my son is nearly 6'3" and we have plenty of legroom, but need a smaller wheel.

That's the nice part about building one of these; you can lay it out to suit your dimensions.

Mix

posted on 27/7/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ever thought of just moving the pedal box assembly / steering wheel further forward ??

Mick

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/7/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
An extra 4" of width will increase the choice of seats by a factor of 50! You will save loads on them too, due to being able to buy mainstream seats

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

psylsph

posted on 27/7/04 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel

As suggested by MustangSix already have a very small wheel in the current book locost, works ok but the left leg can be a problem, also the right leg can ache after a while. Just need a bit more leg room, with steering currently at the correct distance. I think I'll probably go with the mcsoreley +4 plan then add a few inches to the cockpit length, probably by trial and error when I've set a template out on the floor.
Thanks for the help.

Stuart

hortimech

posted on 27/7/04 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you are going to do that, why not look at the +442, I,m assured by Jim McSorley that a std nosecone & bonnet will fit and its 4" wider alround in cockpit with an extra 2" in pedalbox area.

Why does everything happen to me

phelpsa

posted on 28/7/04 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
If anything I would need the length in the chassis. I am 13 and 5' 11". Then again I might stop growing.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.