Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 rebuild Q's
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 rebuild Q's

My good friend pete "the gearbox man" has taken away my 2 type 9's, a normal pinto type, and a 4x4. All stripped, and he says need nothing doing.
So he is putting together a long first, HD pinto 2wd box for me. All pretty simple, even using the mechanical speedo drive. BUT he wants to know if 5th gear should be pressed on or heated first? Also, does any of the splined section need cutting off to fit the box on the back of my zetec? (we can assemble it all up and find out, but be good to use a lathe while the gearbox is in bits) If so, how much should be removed?
Many thanks

Clive

scotty g

posted on 26/1/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
To the best of my knowledge you don't need to remove anything as it fits onto the zetec just fine.
cheers.

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, maybe confusion. The HD/long first gearbox uses the longer first motion/input shaft. Not sure if just the spigot or some of the clutch splines need to be removed.
Paul Turner

posted on 26/1/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Got a hybrid box in mine just like you have but got Steve Perks at SPC to put one of his 2.75 firsts in it instead of the 3.36 standard ratio, my ratios are now 2.75, 1.81, 1.26, 1 and .82. its brilliant and cost peanuts compared to BGH boxes etc. 2wd 5 speed box cost me £40 for a knackered diesel one, only wanted tail case afterall, 4x4 box cost me £6.00 on e-bay, collecting it cost me more, new first gear and rebuild cost £350, grand total £396. I sold the V6 alloy bellhousing that came with the 4x4 box for £120 on e-bay and the V6 x-member for £10 on e-bay and the V6 transfer box for £10 on e-bay meaning I got a newly rebuilt close ratio box for £256, beat that.

You cannot use the long input shaft without the spacer that Caterham make for use with this box and the 4 cylinder bellhousing onto the back of a Zetec or any 4 cylinder engine for that matter, got a Blacktop in mine. Many people have just simply cut about 20mm off the end of the shaft and fitted it but the splined part grounds into the end of the crank and after a short time your thrusts are buggered or as happened to one chap I met it broke the centre main bearing web clean out of the block. Some may get away with but its not worth the risk. Unfortunately the Caterham spacer is about £80 but RWD Motorsport do one that is about £45, here'e the link http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/adaptor-plate-for-rs2000-type-bellhousing-to-2-8-gearbox/prod_13.html The RWD one is quite a bit thinner and I have never checked if the clearances to the end of the spiggot drilling in the crank are OK since obviously I have never needed to, would be worth checking to avoid disaster, a bit off the end of the shaft with a grinder would do the trick I don't doubt. The upside of the Caterham spacer is it moves the gearbox back 30mm which makes the gearlever easier to reach.

If you have the true Heavy Duty box with the bolted on spiggot bush at the front the spacer will need machining to fit around the bush.

[Edited on 26/1/12 by Paul Turner]

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, has the spigot bearing. I don't have any spare room for a spacer (this is going in a spitfire!) but we (he!) can take a chunk off the first motion shaft easily enough, lathe access is do-able.

just need to find a scrap box so I can also assemble a good normal type 9 and flog on the bay, after all it has now been properly inspected and all good, so that should be worth a few bob. No rush, they seem to be increasing in value

Now, anybody know about 5th gear and if it should just be pressed on? or heat first?

Ian.C

posted on 26/1/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Yep, has the spigot bearing. I don't have any spare room for a spacer (this is going in a spitfire!) but we (he!) can take a chunk off the first motion shaft easily enough, lathe access is do-able.

just need to find a scrap box so I can also assemble a good normal type 9 and flog on the bay, after all it has now been properly inspected and all good, so that should be worth a few bob. No rush, they seem to be increasing in value

Now, anybody know about 5th gear and if it should just be pressed on? or heat first?

I pressed mine on.

AdrianH

posted on 26/1/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
You may have to machine the back face of the main housing to take the long first gear set.

I have the mod to a standard spec box.

For details look at this article.

http://www.eddybrown.co.uk/mg/type-9-article/

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

flak monkey

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
5th gear isn't normally that tight. I certainly didnt need to heat it when i fitted mine. Bear in mind heating it to anything over about 200deg C will affect its temper too.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/1/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, I think we (he) will be happy with all that.
No need to heat the gear, and a bit off the splines. The bellhousing may need a bit cutting out as well I suspect for the stub.

We are using the HD case, it is more or less identical to the std version. Though he is adding a drain plug should I ever want to do an oil change.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.