Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: ask for a freebie???
AndyW

posted on 11/5/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
ask for a freebie???

Evening all,

Im not one for making a fuss, but, I purchased an item thats been made wrong. They admitted fault. They said to bring it back and they will change for a new one. Fair enough. Problem is that it will be a 200 mile round trip for me to take it back. Should I be cheeky and ask for something to offset the fuel cost of me returning it?

I think its only right to do so as the added cost of me collecting it in the first place (would not post as too big) and then the trip again to correct the problem has made a big difference in the overall price.

What would be a fair "amount" to ask for or expect.

They have not said anything about discount off next purchase or anything just an expectation that I will bring the old one back and collect the new one.

So, whats the collective thought. Should I ask for something in return, should I expect something in return, or just keep a stiff upper lip and say well done for sorting it out old chap???

I await your responses!!

Thanks

Andy

Wheels244

posted on 11/5/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think they should either cover your fuel costs or arrange to pick it up and deliver at their expense.
designer

posted on 11/5/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Afraid it all depends on the 'small print'!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 11/5/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would demmand that they refunded any associated costs, you are not at fault so should not incurr any costs

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Evening all,

Im not one for making a fuss, but, I purchased an item thats been made wrong. They admitted fault. They said to bring it back and they will change for a new one. Fair enough. Problem is that it will be a 200 mile round trip for me to take it back. Should I be cheeky and ask for something to offset the fuel cost of me returning it?

I think its only right to do so as the added cost of me collecting it in the first place (would not post as too big) and then the trip again to correct the problem has made a big difference in the overall price.

What would be a fair "amount" to ask for or expect.

They have not said anything about discount off next purchase or anything just an expectation that I will bring the old one back and collect the new one.

So, whats the collective thought. Should I ask for something in return, should I expect something in return, or just keep a stiff upper lip and say well done for sorting it out old chap???

I await your responses!!

Thanks

Andy

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

SteveWalker

posted on 12/5/12 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I run my own business and HMRC consider that when you add up all the costs of running a vehicle: maintenence, insurance, fuel, depreciation, finance, etc. 45p per mile is a reasonable cost, that has no element of profit.
cliftyhanger

posted on 12/5/12 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Tricky, I suspect you need to check your rights before asking so you know whether to plead or demand. remember the company has no control over where buyers live, and RTB warranties are very common. But they may be helpful, depends on costs, how much the item was and so on. So if it costs £500, they wont be wanting to offer £100 compensation.
PSpirine

posted on 12/5/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get them to arrange collection. Would be cheaper and easier.

Did you purchase it in person or via phone/internet?

AndyW

posted on 12/5/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased it in person, as their web site would not let your order as it could/would not allow postage due to size.
coyoteboy

posted on 14/5/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Phone them and ask? But if buying that sort of thing you are accepting a risk in the first place so it's a bit hard to judge.
UncleFista

posted on 14/5/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's not tricky at all, they supplied the wrong part so it's up to them to either replace or refund and collect.

According to the DSRs you don't even need to send it back at their expense, you do however need to arrange it so they can collect.

It's not your fault, so you don't have to pay.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

loggyboy

posted on 14/5/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
It's not tricky at all, they supplied the wrong part so it's up to them to either replace or refund and collect.

According to the DSRs you don't even need to send it back at their expense, you do however need to arrange it so they can collect.

It's not your fault, so you don't have to pay.

DSRs wouldnt cover a item that was purchased directly then taken away, even if it was incorrectly supplied.
Your going to have to approach them and hope that they are willing to make up for their mistake as I dont think they have an legal obligation to pay to have it collected or to reimburse you.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.