Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Diffuser / Handling
Greenie

posted on 13/5/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Diffuser / Handling

Well fitted the rear diffuser and went out for a blat for the first time since fitting it and I have discovered that, even though the rear of he car seems glued the road, the front end has becoming strangely light.

Hence my question is should I be doing something with the front end or suspension to compensate?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 13/5/12 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Splitter on the front will help...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

HowardB

posted on 13/5/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
there is a very interesting discussion about this on the RGB forum, they conclude that both splitter and diffuser are required,...

I hope to understand a little more after I have completed the recommended reading by a bloke called Katz,..

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

theduck

posted on 13/5/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised to hear it's had such a dramatic effect. I always understood them to be a mostly cosmetic thing, and also helped prevent the parachute effect of the open rear end.
fimi7

posted on 13/5/12 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I saw similar comments on this very forum and assumed it was being made by someone who clearly did not understand that every little change has an effect. I plan on adding both, the big question is how big a wing do I need on the front to balance it out.

My hope is not too large, otherwise I will tweak the diffuser to reduce it's effects. It's all a matter of balance.

--- Ali

Custardpants

posted on 14/5/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just added a splitter and aero'd front cycle wings to mine and it's noticibly better at the front - not necessarily any downforce production - it's just removed excess lift, and also funnels more air into my oil cooler. will try to get some pics. Steering is still weighty at unmentionable speeds. Which diffuser have you gone for? Did you put a flat floor on too? It's my next job to do.
Steve Hignett

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
This would do it...

HowardB

posted on 14/5/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
This would do it...

Nice, fancy one for my fury,....

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Greenie

posted on 14/5/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
My diffuser s ne from MK and butts right up against the floor pan, which is flat. I would no have thought it would have made tat much difference but it has, very surprisingly. My steering has never felt as light at speed how it does since fitting he diffuser..... If a splitter is he cure then that's the route I will take, but I intend to manufacture this myself so some pics would be nice....... Thanks for the replies everyone!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Will keep an eye on your progress as I want to fit a diffuser to my kit and fancied a solitude to go with it, do be interested in your results.
Hellfire

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have you panelled the underside of the engine bay? TBH, I find it rather surprising that you say you can notice the difference and seem to be suggesting that it has increased downforce at the rear. Most discussions on here have concluded that fitting a diffuser does very little to the aerodynamic performance of a seven. I'm sure there are people on here who have actually carried out wind tunnel testing on sevens fitted with diffusers and have arrived at the same verdict......

Is your diffuser much different to other designs? Got any pictures?

Phil

[Edited on 14-5-12 by Hellfire]

theduck

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=168163
Davegtst

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if you get track driver magazine but they love a splitter and it sounds like it may help. According to them they need to be quite thick and say 13mm ply is a good material to make then from. Apparently making one from a thin bit of ali or carbon is no good at all. Is under the engine bay panelled flat.
Greenie

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I panelled ender side f the engine bay last year, not realising what would do, it was to prevent road debris coming up into e engine bay, e car is vertically flat underneath......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.