Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine cutting out when using electric reverse
Davegtst

posted on 21/5/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Engine cutting out when using electric reverse

As per title really, my hayabusa engine cuts out when i use the electric reverse. It still keeps reversing ok but even if i rev it to about 3500 rpm it still cuts out. It did throw up 4 fault codes which were ignition signal 1 2 3 and 4. Any ideas?
Slimy38

posted on 21/5/12 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing your electric reverse is taking a bit too much juice? Do you get a significant voltage drop when you're reversing?
BenB

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's likely to be the voltage sagging spectacularly under load. Try monitoring the volts across the battery when reversing, you might need to install a bigger battery to prevent the drop. Normally of course the alternator provides all the electricity when the car is running and the battery just provides it for starting but when you're using an electric reverse it's quite likely that you won't be producing enough oomph from the alternator and it will be draining the battery.
big_l

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mine does exactly the same revs help the situation also disguises the milk float sound track

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

bobinspain

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Park it on the level and push it.
Not kidding. I've got leccy reverse and used it once in 3 months. I park on the flat and roll it into 'launch' position.
There's never a shortage of volunteer pushers to get a close-up of the car.
Knowing what I know now, I'd never have spec'ed it.
A good few owners have removed the reverse and found the gearchange much smoother.
Bottom line, only stick with it if you really need it. At the first hint of a problem with mine it's coming off.

Davey D

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
My R1 engined car used to do the same when I used the standard original 4ah battery. I have since upgraded to a bit bigger battery with 19ah and it works much better without cutting the engine :-)
Gti6boy

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just sorting the same problem at the mo on my R1

Standard car battery does not work but as soon as I put my yellow top battery on the engine stays running even whilst reversing up a slope with 2 peeps. Just does not fit on the scuttle panel

MK9R

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
They all do it, just restart it when you are ready, no problem. I use mine fore moving the car arround the drive, thats about it. How on earth does removing an electric reverse improve the gear change ??????

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davegtst

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
It's good to know it's not just mine then. I have a massive battery from an rx8 fitted in the passenger footwell atm but it has been run completly flat a few times a while ago so it may be fubar. It was flat when i started the engine and then left it running for about 1/2 an hour to charge up but i guess the generator isn't really up to the job. I'm going to give it a good charge and see how i get on then. Has anyone got any thoughts on fitting a capacitor like the ones people use for audio systems so the initial load on the battery isn't as much.
MK9R

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bikes struggvle to charge their own batteries if totally flat, a good charge every so often helps condition the battery

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/5/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Why not have 2 batteries wired up like a camper van with the reverse lamp acting as an isolator feed. The engine wouldn't be affected and you could flatten the reversing battery without touching the main battery.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bobinspain

posted on 21/5/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
They all do it, just restart it when you are ready, no problem. I use mine fore moving the car arround the drive, thats about it. How on earth does removing an electric reverse improve the gear change ??????

Apologies Austen.
I was mistakenly conflating different inputs and issues.
The u2u's I've received were from owners who'd removed the electric reverse because it was a pita.

Davegtst

posted on 28/5/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted now. Got myself an exide agm battery and now I can reverse to my hearts content without it stopping the engine.
Davey D

posted on 28/5/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
All sorted now. Got myself an exide agm battery and now I can reverse to my hearts content without it stopping the engine.

Its an Exide AGM battery that I put in mine, and as you say, reversing is so much better now :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.