Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bsf, whitworth ect bolts
dlatch

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
bsf, whitworth ect bolts

Due to a recent deal i now have a norton WD16H
only problem is i went metric 39 years ago so every bolt but washer i own is of no use on this bike
before i go spending money has anyone out there got a selection of the above types of bolts nut's screws washers ect
as i feel i will need a few to replace any tatty worn screws
my 2 hours spent refitting the dynamo today was very pleasurable until i needed one simple bolt

have a few kit related parts i would be willing to trade
ie: mondeo 1.8 flywheel clutch plate and cover brand new to suit zetec to type 9
Starter motor LRS707 for the above set up
both are un used that i bought for spares but never needed.

and here she is

Description
Description

PS if you have a Amal pre monobloc 1" clamp mount carb laying around i could really use a norton specifc jet block (well you never know)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 9/9/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
These charts may help
Spanner size1
There are some Metric Imperial cross overs that can work.

Don't forget the USA is still Imperial and a good source of bolts but their version of Imperial is a fraction of a mm smaller

This shows how old my imperial knowledge is, the inch was standardised at 25.4mm exactly in 1959!! For the UK, USA & Canada

[Edited on 9/9/12 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/9/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I appreciate you are looking for swaps but the classic British bike scene is so well supported, there are half a dozen companies out there that will supply all and every nut bolt screw washer.... in stainless, ti, hex, socket head, cheese head whatever

You probably already know this but buy a copy of classic bike or old motorcycle news and look at the ads in the back. You have nothing to worry about and prices are pretty good.

[Edited on 9/9/12 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dlatch

posted on 9/9/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
my main problem is identifying the bolt or nut that needs replacing in the first place.
the norton uses 3 different types of thread

whitworth
BSF
cycle

been looking for a assorted bolt set or something similar but they cost £30 upwards
it is just annoying not having something as simple as a nut.

i know it was a long shot but you never know on here

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
renetom

posted on 9/9/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
nuts & bolts

Hi
It's a shame you are so far away
I have a huge tin full of old nuts & bolts & a medium sized one
There is BSW BSF UNC uNF BA etc etc it came from my fathers garage which he gave to me , he used to tinker with traction engines car & bikes.
I then had a garage in the late 60's to mid 70's dismantled cars bikes every nut & bolt went into the tin
If you're really stuck your welcome to have a rummage , they are all old. so don't expect any new ones.
They would need to be cleaned & painted.
As for identification there are thread gauges which are like feeler gauges with teeth.
They are fairly cheap & work well for identification,
Good luck
René

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.