Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake bleeding...
theduck

posted on 6/10/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Brake bleeding...

Probably a stupid question but one I want to make sure I have right.

If I have the rear drums off, would this make the brake pedal light/hit the pedal stop?

I have an issue with the rear setup but have bled all the brakes and although the fronts work the pedal is very long and soft, which I assume is because of the rear drums being off.

daviep

posted on 6/10/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Probably a stupid question but one I want to make sure I have right.

If I have the rear drums off, would this make the brake pedal light/hit the pedal stop?

I have an issue with the rear setup but have bled all the brakes and although the fronts work the pedal is very long and soft, which I assume is because of the rear drums being off.

Yes it will, there is nothing to stop the wheel cylinders expanding. Be careful if you pump the pedal too much the wheel cylinder pistons will pop out

You probably won't be able to get the drums back on now as the auto adjusters will have clicked up.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

SCAR

posted on 6/10/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if I am reading your post correct but dont press the brake pedal with the rear drums off as there will be nothing for the brake shoes to push against. You will probably just pop the pistons out of the brake slave cylinders. I dont think you can bleed the system (pedal method) without the drums attatched as you wont get any system pressure. You would only be pushing against the brake shoe return springs.

Daviep post beat me to it

[Edited on 6/10/12 by SCAR]

theduck

posted on 6/10/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks daviep for confirming that.

Problem I have with the rear drums is that they are binding against the back plate, I had tried spacing them Out 3mm to see if that cures the problem, but it didn't, even 6mm didn't cure it completely(!) though I realise this wouldn't be safe anyway. I'm not sure if something is misaligned or something is bent, but whatever it is, it's the or thing stopping it from entering the 'finishing off' stages.

Edit SCAR I was using an eezibleed. Also the rear cylinders are ok, just need to reset the auto adjusters, but looking like the whole rear brake setup needs stripping down anyway.

[Edited on 6/10/12 by theduck]

vyperstrype

posted on 6/10/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's a silly question but are you sure that the Brake Shoes are the right way round, as this can cause Brake Bind. The leading edges on the shoes are different. The Brake Lining is bonded usually 1cm from one end from the Brake Shoe and the other end is normally about 3 or 4mm from the other end. If you get them the wrong way round they will not locate central in the Drums.

I hope this helps.

Regards Eric.

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

rusty nuts

posted on 6/10/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the drums are binding on the backplates rather than the shoes? If the drums are binding on the backplates then either the drums, backplates or possibly the drive shafts/flanges are at fault. Likely suspects are incorrect drums fitted? Incorrectly fitted shoes will not cause the drums to bind on the backplates but may cause the drum to bind on the shoes
theduck

posted on 6/10/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say definitely binding on back plate but that's my suspision as drum doesn't seem to be parallel to the back plate.
rusty nuts

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
More likely to be backplate not parallel with the drum unless the drive shaft is bent? Try releasing the auto adjuster backing off the brake shoes , then refit the drum and check for binding. If drum then rotates without binding the problem is down to the shoes, if not then the drum. Is the drum worn leaving a ridge on the inner or outer edge?
theduck

posted on 7/10/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Ok so I have removed the shoes and refitted the drum and with the wheel bolts done up finger right it still binds so it's got to be the back plate. Help?
theduck

posted on 7/10/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Can see in this photo where drum is rubbing against the backplate.

[Edited on 7/10/12 by theduck]

rusty nuts

posted on 7/10/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Has the backplate got signs like that all the way round? Has the inside edge of the drum worn all around or in just one place? If it is one place then it may be a bent halfshaft? Check the runout of the drive flange, if it's OK then it may be possible to "relieve" the brake drum at the high spot.
theduck

posted on 7/10/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
It's all the way round.
theduck

posted on 7/10/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so I've had the father in law round as we have looked at this together and determined something's definitely wrong. The drum seems to be too wide for the hub/backplate distance by about a cm when measuring the distance from hub face to back plate and from inside drum to outside edge. Now as far as I am aware all these parts are off the same sierra, so what could be wrong/missing that would cause this? Or have I just got mismatched parts?
rusty nuts

posted on 7/10/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Like I said in one of my earlier posts the most likely cause is incorrect drums. Measure the diameter and the width along with the stud spacings and have a word with your local motor factor , they should have a catalogue with sizes etc to work from even if your not sure what you want
theduck

posted on 7/10/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks rusty nuts. I will look into getting some other drums that have a slightly shorter internal height.
AdrianH

posted on 8/10/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just picked up this post.

And OK I may be stupid here but if that is meant to be anything like the sierra rear drums you have the backplate fitted wrong!

The plate should go between the hub and the upright.

Your picture shows it as though you have upright, hub then backplate, therefore your backplate will be approx 8 to 10 mm into the shoe area then it should.

Not sure if all that makes sense.

I will go away and check your archive for any more clues.

Adrian

No photo archive.

[Edited on 8-10-12 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

theduck

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Adrian, I think I know what you mean. Just to clarify though that in the picture below, where I have the back plate in between those two bits, it should go on before.

Edit picture would help, note its a library image.

[Edited on 9/10/12 by theduck]

[Edited on 9/10/12 by theduck]

AdrianH

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
That looks like a rear hub for a brake calliper with disks, but, yes in effect.

If you have a Sierra Manual mine is 82 to 93 and there is a picture 6.14 Strut and spring fitted to top of trailing shoe 1.6 model.

It shows that the bearing hub is on the outside of the backplate.

In effect the backplate is sandwiched between the bearing hub and backplate.

I would say that would give an extra 8 to 10 mm from the hub face where the brake drum fastens to the backplate. The shoes will all be the same as they bolt to the backplate.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

theduck

posted on 9/10/12 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you! That is it, I had it off at the weekend and it will buy enough space.
rusty nuts

posted on 9/10/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well spotted, obvious when I looked again
theduck

posted on 10/10/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Big to Adrian! Done the one side tonight and it's fixed the problem, just the other side to do now :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.