Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 long or short shaft?
mikey p

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 long or short shaft?

Is the long for the V6 T9 Gbox? if so how do you distinguish a long or short T9 box? need to now which duratec bell housing I need to buy.

Thanks in adavnce

Mike

coozer

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, the V6 version has longer input shaft. Not sure how to tell by looking at it as a few peeps here have made that mistake while looking for a standard one..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mikey p

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
yeah ideally I need away to check with it still mounted to the engine. I suspect it will be a short version as it is currently mounted to a pinto... but does have a alloy bell housing. Is it possible to measure the bell housing I have now to work it out or is it only a few mm's?
big-vee-twin

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I understand the long shaft protrudes beyond the length of the bell housing the short one is the same length as the bell
Think the only way is to split the box from the engine

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

rusty nuts

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the difference in the bell housing front to rear is approx 19mm longer for the v6 and the diesel type 9 . but I can't remember offhand the length of the 4cyl bell housing although 175mm springs to mind
dave r

posted on 6/10/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
spacers to correct a long b/g to a short bell housing are about 25mm long
can possibly get a measurement off a mate tommorow if no-one else comes up with an answer before

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

mikey p

posted on 6/10/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Pretty sure I have sorted it now. My bell housing measures just over 170mm which should indicate sort input variant as the V6 is 192mm.

This also matches up with http://www.titan.uk.net/products/4.13//bellhousings

Thanks to all

Mike

snapper

posted on 7/10/12 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
The V6 box will not fit on a Pinto or any other Ford inline 4 with a V6 bellhousing( different bolt pattern) the V6 box will not fit to a Ford inline 4 using the standard non V6 bellhousing without a spacer between box and bellhousing
Therefore if a type 9 is on a straight 4 it's a short input
If a type 9 is on a V6 it's a long input
The Caterham spacer ihave measures 40mm including location lips and spaces the bellhousing forward by 30mm
When I used this with an RS2000 bellhousing it was just a bit to short.
The standard bellhousing uses a dust plate, RS2000 does not, my input shaft touched the back of the crankshaft and caused gear change issues, my solution was to cut and fit a 3mm spacer ring I place of the dust plate.
You could just grind off a bit of the input shaft spigot nose

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Paul Turner

posted on 7/10/12 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Got a 2.8 in mine with a Steve Perks 1st gear kit, brilliant box and cost peanuts compared to the BGH, Quaiffe alternatives. Used the Caterham spacer, with a cross flow I used the Ford dust shield but on the Zetec the crank drilling is much deeper and the dust shield is not required.

But beware the catch, the diesel also used a long input shaft and had ratios that were of no use in a petrol Sierra let alone a kit car. The diesel originally used the short clutch sleeve like a standard 2 litre box meaning there was about a 1/2 gap between the end of the sleeve and the start of the splines, this means a diesel should be easy to spot but many diesels now have long V6 sleeves fitted to improve their value, unfortunately it does not improve the ratios. They are only useful in a diesel or as a donor for a strait cut box.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.